Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Caleb82 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 06:22 PM
    Can insurance sue me?
    My father passed recently. He deeded me our home (where he also lived) a few years ago, but never switched the insurance into my name. Before he passed, he had a new roof placed on the home. I was told if insurance finds out that "I" was the home-owner, they could ask for the money back for the roof---even though we still make our premium payments.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2011, 06:51 PM
    Can they, most likely yes, if he did not have his name on the deed at all, he did not own it, so he had no insurable interest in the home, a legal requirement to buy insurance.

The insurance was not insuring you and the house.

But then why should they find out ? Who would tell them ?
    Now that he is passed, merely put the policy in your name now. Change companies if it makes you feel better.

Oct 9, 2011, 07:09 PM
    Well, when I went to my agent to change the name, he saw that I owned the home since 2009 and not the insurer. But the insurer lived with me. He said he would wait awhile before changing the name on the policy since the work was done on the roof several weeks ago. BUT, I don't want to live with a cloud over my head that I can be sued later, after I have the name changed. I thought about getting umbrella insurance with another company in case something arises. Could I do that? Or can an individual get umbrella insurance without having his home with that insurance co.?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2011, 07:16 PM
    The umbrella would not help you since the "act" they would be suing for is already done, you can't insure agaist something that has already happened.

Also they could consider it fraud, a criminal act and no insurance will cover a criminal act. (not that you were planning on anything wrong)

I don't know why or how they knew how long you owned it ? I buy and sell houses all the time and have never had to provde them any proof of purchase.

Also the issue here is that your "dad" would be the one that owe the money, since he is the one that was paid, so they could sue the estate. Any law suit against you should be thrown out, since the check was not paid to you, check not in your name.

Oct 9, 2011, 07:30 PM
    Well, the umbrella would be to safeguard me--since I was administrator of the estate. I did not know, neither did my dad, I'm sure, that when the deed was made, that the insurance needed to be changed. We never thought about it since he lived with me and paid it till he passed. He died actually before the roofers were paid, so I had to set up an estate account at the bank, etc. So that's why I thought they would come after me. BUT, since I am paying the insurance I don't know why they would sue me anyway--as long as they get paid.

I had to show the deed to my agent in order for him to change the name on the policy. That's when he saw I owned the home in 2009, not my dad...

So if the corporate office learns this, what is the likelihood they would pursue it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can someone's private insurance sue,after my insurance settled with rentals insurer? [ 3 Answers ]

I was in a accident in 2006 in California and I was at-fault. Woman at a red light turning right began to merge as she had plenty of time and space. She then stopped for some reason, as I began to attempt to merge looking over my left shoulder and saw a still safe opening I started to go and...

Sue a dentist that lied about insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HOM detest (CAPITATED PROGRAM). I have many serious dental problems that I have not had treated because my detest says my insurance does not cover them. I called my insurance and the nine procedures I needed were ALL covered in full. The detest even documented these false statements...

Not at fault, but no insurance, can I sue [ 7 Answers ]

I was in an accident in Ca. I was stopped at a 4 way stop, as it was my turn to go the person to my right did not stop and ran into me, the stop sign was down so he claims he didn't see it. Either way, I didn't have insurance, he had no insurance and a suspended licence, my car was totaled. I am...

Can I sue my insurance broker that the one who insured m why car? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I hope I can see the light here for my problem about the car insurance premium agent. I insured my car . Broker and he asked me about deposit cost $300.00 before they insured my car. I take it and the premium every months cost $131.00 and after three days I found a much...

Can you sue/mediate house insurance company? [ 11 Answers ]

If you have a claim with your insurance company and they deny it for faulty materials, even though the materials wasn't cause of the damage it was something else that they will cover, to I have any recourse? I feel pretty hopeless... :(

View more questions Search