Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike345687 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Neutral at a switch
    Is it against regulations to have a neutral at a switch in a connector in a new build house?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Your question isn't clear to me. How is your switch wired? You can run a feed to the switch, and then a cable to the load. The neutrals are spliced in the switch box, and the hots connected to the switch terminals. Or you can run the feed to the load and a switch loop back to the switch. It that case, the white carries the current.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shared neutral [ 21 Answers ]

I have a 50 year old home. I am doing some remodeling and found that I have 2 separate circuits sharing the same neutral. I hadn't seen this before and I am worried about it. Is this in itself a problem? Also, the neutral is hot where I am remodeling but not at the breaker box. Do I have a...

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

Lighted Switch & Open Neutral [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently attempting to use a lighted rocker switch to control a split receptacle. The wiring looks right but when I power up and test the outlet, it shows an open neutral (light on tester is just barely on) when the switch is turned off. In the on position everything test out correct. ...

Hot neutral [ 6 Answers ]

Very confused as to way the breaker does not trip if I have a hot neutral. We had a heated water bowl for the houses and the water beencame live. 110 to the neutral.So way did the breaker not trip. Stan

Using Neutral as a Ground ? [ 3 Answers ]

In my new apartment there are some wall outlets that are two prong outlets. Also my fear is that the three prong outlets are not “physically” connected to ground. I heard somewhere that in this kind of system the neutral wire can also be used as a ground. Is this correct? Would a separate...

View more questions Search