Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceblinn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Uninstall software
    I cannot seem to uninstall a program called DVD2SVCD. There is no uninstall file and the control panel "add/remove " reads "can't open install.log". I searched the directory and the install.log file does not exist. I then downloaded the program and reinstalled it. This time I did not allow it to launch after complete install. Still no install.log file in its directory. There is an unwise.exe but it tries to open install.log. Can someone help me.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 05:57 AM
    I would delete it and cover up the debris with a registry checker.

But maybe someone has a less haphazard suggestion :)
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Feb 19, 2007, 06:20 AM
    Hi,
    Normally all softwares will have an uninstall program and if it is not available you can go to control panel and uninstall it from the add/remove program. If you are getting the message 'cant open install.log' then you would have deleted some parts of the installed files from the installed folder. One thing you have to always remember is that if you have installed a software you should uninstall the program either from the software program itself or from the control panel. Dont ever try to delete the software from the installed folder or directory. Now what you could do is delete the files from the installed folder if you still have any. Then go to your system registry and remove the debris from there.

I assume that you are using XP and you are familiar with the softwares and computer registry. Click Start> Click Run> type regedit > Click Ok. You will get your system registry. Expand the Local Machine and Expand Softwares > Look for the software which you want to remove completely. Right click and delete it. Repeat it also in the Current user.

Be careful not to delete any other things from it which will make a big fuzz. Your system will not operate well.
    . If you are not confident enough to do it then get someone who can help you.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 06:25 AM
    I would NEVER recommend a user who is not a Windows expert to start deleting Registry entries. Bad idea.

Feb 19, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I would NEVER recommend a user who is not a Windows expert to start deleting Registry entries. Bad idea.
    I have clearly mentioned that you can do it if you are familiar with the softwares and registry and even told to get the help of some experienced person to help for it. Please read the full post before adding comments. Somebody is trying to help you and if you are adding a negative rating then nobody will be interested to help you.. This post is meant for ceblinn.

After your negative rating I am not supposed to give you any more suggestion but I felt that you are new in the forum so read further.

The first two options to uninstall the program is out of question now. The only chance left is to
    Buy and install the program Uninstaller. After installation, open the program and click on the button REMOVE. From there you will be able to again pick and choose which software you want to delete completely. This option is the most preferable, of all these as it is designed to clean all files associated with the software as long as you don't protect them within Uninstall itself including registry entries which is totally important. I am not sure if there is a trial version available
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 06:49 AM
    I think it's obvious from his question that he is not familiar with the registry.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Try reinstalling the program over the existing install. This should repair the install.log so you can then uninstall it.
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 19, 2007, 03:53 PM
    I agree with Scott; if you reinstall the same program, it may very well correct the error and allow you to uninstall it.

Feb 19, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Darkclaw
    I agree with Scott; if you reinstall the same program, it may very well correct the error and allow you to uninstall it.
    He has already reinstalled and tried to uninstall it. Please refer to his question. Anyway he can give another try
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 20, 2007, 02:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAVED
    He has already reinstalled and tried to uninstall it. Please refer to his question. Anyway he can give another try
    Oh, so he did.
    There's a free "brute force" uninstaller program on Tucows - I can't remember what it's called though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uninstall/Reinstall... [ 2 Answers ]

First I install Coreldraw GS 12 the I decided to update it to Corel X3 but my PC begun to slow then I uninstalled the X3 and try to reinstall the CGS 12 but it won't let me it saz error in applying... :confused:

Uninstall [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to uninstall a program but this message appeared on after confirming deletion.. "unable to locate the installation log file C/:program files blah blah... Uninstallation will not continue. What could be the problem? Anyone help please~ ;)

Uninstall Norton [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Until I can fit a new system in my budget, I'm stuck with my Windows ME. How do I uninstall Norton Security and Norton Anti-virus system? At one point I did hit uninstall in the programs list, now I can't find it anywhere, it's not even in install/uninstall programs. Also when I try to...

Uninstall windows [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I've a windows ME, so is it possible that I can uninstall the windows ME without using a CD? If you know how, send me an e-mail message.

How do I uninstall windows [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Can you tell me how to uninstall windows 98, as I am trying to upgrade to windows 98 SE but when I load it on to p.c without unistalling windows98 I can't connect to internet , when I try to connect it keeps coming up this program has caused an illeegal operation and will be shut down. So...

View more questions Search