Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dreamer Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

Oct 15, 2004, 09:16 PM
    Cat mental disorder?
    I have a cat that I picked up as a stray kitten at KFC. (Yes, Kentucky Fried Chicken LOL) She was very timid as a kitten and did not like anyone but me, usually. Occasionally she would take to someone around me, but those times were few & far between.

When she was a little under a year old, I moved to MN. I lived in an apartment there with her 3 brothers. After living there for about 6 months, she adjusted beautifully and became extremely friendly towards me. She never wanted me to leave her side. She was my baby in all senses of the word. I lived there for 4 years & eventually left my hubby to move back to VA. When I moved back to VA, she became violent towards other cats, won't even let me come around here very much (sometimes she'll let me reach out and pet her just a little bit) but otherwise she hates everyone & everything it seems.

I have been here a year now & she has consistently kept this behavior. I have had to take one of my other cats to a vet. Due to a broken leg and busted neck wound due to this cat. She is now about 4-5 years old. She was spayed when she was about 1 yrs. Old. Ever since then, her behavior has been gradually getting worse. What could have caused this, and does this sound like a mental disorder? I have considered having her put to sleep because she seems so miserable and is making her brothers & sisters miserable as well. Any imput would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 15, 2004, 09:20 PM
    Also, I meant to add that all of my cats at the time were strictly indoor cats, so there is/was no possibility of rabies. There were no new cats added to the home at the time of her behavior change, no sudden changes to environment, and she never had a litter of kittens before I had her spayed. (which is something that I felt could have been a problem) She was the youngest cat in the house & my other cats were all older males, also neutered. Just wanted to add that info. In case it helps solve the problem.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Oct 19, 2004, 10:05 AM
    You wrote:

"Also, I meant to add that all of my cats at the time were strictly indoor cats, so there is/was no possibility of rabies. There were no new cats added to the home at the time of her behavior change, no sudden changes to environment, and she never had a litter of kittens before I had her spayed. (which is something that I felt could have been a problem) She was the youngest cat in the house & my other cats were all older males, also neutered. Just wanted to add that info. in case it helps solve the problem."

And yet, in the first post you stated that the behavior started after you moved back to VA. This can be a very stressful time for a cat especially if she has moved away from other cats or people she knows and likes.

I highly suggest you try Bach Flower Remedy: Rescue Remedy to help calm her down. Two drops in the mouth once daily and give it about 2 to 4 weeks to start working.

Another, faster working calmative is Feliway: Comfort Zone plug-in. Works wonders for cats who are showing behavioral problems.

As a last resort, phenobarb or valium can be prescribed by your vet. We have successfully used these to treat aggressive behavior in cats.

It is possible for cats to have mental disorders although most of the time they are just acting out of fear or misunderstanding. I hope you can find a solution that works for you!

Regards,

Oct 19, 2004, 06:48 PM
    koriani,

Thanks for your reply. Let me clarify on some of the things I said & reply to some of the things you said.

You wrote: "This can be a very stressful time for a cat especially if she has moved away from other cats or people she knows and likes."

I do realize that it could have been stress, however I gave her just as much attention to comfort her when I moved, but she still pulled away. Also, her brothers moved with her... and no one was left behind that she was close to. She never really liked my hubby and would only let him pet her when I was around. So I really don't think it could be related to that.

My only problem with being able to give her the products you suggested is that she has become pretty wild. Trying to catch her is like pulling teeth. So I really don't know what to do any more. I will however check out the things you recommended and see what I can do.

If you have any other suggestions or ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2004, 05:02 AM
    I'm so sorry to hear she is that wild.

The herbal Rescue Remedy I suggested can be put in water. It is certainly not going to harm the other cats to have it as well.

Feliway: Comfort Zone is a plug in device which I HIGHLY recommend in this situation. I'm not guaranteeing it will work but I have seen a majority of cats respond in a positive manner. It works just like a Glade Plug-in... you don't have to dose the cat.

Also, the phenobarb and valium can be crushed and given in canned food if pilling is not an option.

I so hope you can find a solution.

Regards,
    angel5576 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2005, 07:50 PM
    Need Advice
    I have a cat that has always been loving and like one of my kids until she had her first litter of kittens,now she is distant and very seldom comes near me she use to lay with me all the time and she slept with me every night now I have to hold her down to pet her and she is very temperamental.She recently came in heat snd she is spraying my house,could she be depressed or stressed out.I know her spraying is due to her being in heat but its like she is just not happy with my family anymore.Any advice will help. :confused:

Apr 2, 2005, 01:13 PM
    Angel
    My first advice is to have her spayed as soon as possible. Heat cycles are very hard on a cat and could cause her to have painful cysts on her ovaries. This can make them shy away and become withdrawn... it's miserable for them to be in constant pain.

Once she's been spayed, the spraying should stop and, hopefully, her attitude will return to normal.

I also recommend putting her on a high quality diet like Iams Hairball. Iams is a highly nutritious food that will help her keep her energy levels up.

To help with her emotional recovery, I suggest getting a Feliway Comfort Zone plug-in which is a phermonal calmative.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! Does my quiet co-worker have a mental disorder? [ 22 Answers ]

Im starting to wonder if my co-worker was a victim of abuse or if he has a mental problem. His behaviors are really strange. My other co-worker and I are very concerned about him and we want to try and help him. He always wears the same clothes every week, never wears a belt with his loose pants,...

My Mental Block [ 2 Answers ]

What's up, Im a Sophomore in high school, and I'm in high jump right now and the state tourny is right around the corner, does anybody know how I can go just 3 or 4 more inchees higher. I have been going 6 3 all year but there is a mental block after that, what are some tips for me to get that...

I need serious mental health [ 10 Answers ]

Before I get started I just want to say I'm not a pervert or sick in the head, I'm 20 and I'm starting to have feelings for a 13 year old, I'm just wondering how much pychiatric help I need because this shouln't be happening because it is very wrong Thanks

Could this possibly be a mental disorder [ 15 Answers ]

My husband has the following symptoms. Very moody Short temper Insecure Jealous Impulsive (spending money) Likes to drive too fast Disregard for authority (won't listen to me or anyone else) Work-a-holic

View more questions Search