Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mememargret Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 03:52 AM
    How do I attach wages from a judgment I won?
    I won judgment in Small Claims. How do I get her wages attached, if she's working. Can I inform IRS in case she has money coming back to her? She doesn't own anything, and I need my money. I'm afraid if I don't act soon, she will get her refund, and I'll have to wait until she gets a job, or next year.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Hello margret:

Sure, you can garnish her wages - if you know where she works. You'll need to file an execution of judgment or a writ of garnishment, or something to that effect, with the court. Every jurisdiction calls it something different. Call the clerk of the court where you got your judgment. They probably have a bailiff, or deputy, or sheriff who can execute the judgment, and will tell you what documentation THEY need. If she has a bank account (and you know where), they can get the bread in there too.

The IRS?? I have no idea how to attach her refund...

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Generally, you can't attach her refund. Only the gov't can attach that. However, if you know where her bank account is you can attach that and, when the refund is deposited you can grab it.

See what excon said about garnishing her salary.
    lilzubie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2008, 06:47 AM
    How do I go about attaching my ex-husbands wages for a judgement I won in our divorce settlement?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilzubie View Post
    how do I go about attaching my ex-husbands wages for a judgement I won in our divorce settlement?

The best way is to go back to Court, order him held in contempt, get the money reduced to a Judgment -

And then file against his wages. You need a Judgment to do that.

This should be a separate thread, not piggybacked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attach stud walls to cement floor [ 9 Answers ]

I am putting in a wood/sheetrock wall in my basement, but don't know how to attach the wood frame/studs to a cement floor. All help appreciated.

Baseboard heater and attach it to the available 15amp non dedicated wall outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to heat an area (180cf with no moving air) using a 1500W using a baseboard heater and attach it to the available 15amp non dedicated electrical wall outlet. I would also like to control the temp. Inside this space with a standard home T-stat. mounted inside the area being heated. I...

What if Carthage had won? [ 5 Answers ]

What would the world be like right now if Carthage had beaten Rome?

How to attach a picture... [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to attach a picture for my answer on the lawn and garden forum, but it says that my picture is 1.83MB and it can only fit a 293Kb or something. How can I make my picture smaller? Please help.. :(

View more questions Search