Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keschy Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2004, 10:34 AM
    How many cats do you have?
    We were planning on having 2 kittens but we might go with 3. Is 3 too many? Right now it would just be me, my husband and the cats but we are going to have a baby sometime in the next year too.All the kitties would be inside. What is your experience with numbers of pets? Thanks!
    mechanicaleden Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Oct 15, 2004, 06:30 PM
    Hi,
    I would suggest just getting two. They'll keep each other company, and, as littermates, they'll almost certainly be good friends as adults, too (just make sure to get them spayed or neutered... they shouldn't get TOO friendly... ). Getting three would be OK, but that's a lot of kittens to take on all at once, and if you plan on having a baby, it might be overwhelming. I work at an animal shelter, and often we receive animals from new parents who don't have the time to take care of all their animals with the new baby. You can always get another cat later if you think you can handle it, and after a relatively short adjustment period, they should get along fine, especially if the cats are all young... whereas it's far more difficult, both for the owners and the animal, to give up unwanted animals. In short, I would suggest that you play it safe and go with two. I have four... and though it's rewarding, it is a lot of work, time, and money just to keep everyone happy, well-fed, healthy and vaccinated!
    Dreamer Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

Oct 15, 2004, 09:01 PM
    Hi keschy,

I also would stick with 2 kittens. I personally have 7 cats. For me, 3 was a very comfortable level in an apartment. Then I moved in to a house and started to "foster" cats which turned in to adopting 4 more. :) The difference between 2 and 3 cats can be very large or not much difference at all. It really depends on the amount of space in your home, financial aspect as to veterinary care, food, litter, etc.

My biggest concern would also be the future with the baby. I personally feel that you would know best about what you will be able to handle. If there is ample space in your home, having 3 kittens and a human child in my honest opinion would not be too overwhelming. However, the time invested in cleaning litter boxes (which as you probably know is something you will not be able to do when you're expecting) will increase with 3. You'd probably need 2 litter boxes, as opposed to the one you'd need with just 2 kittens. How does your hubby feel about the responsibility? I think between those things you can best decide what would fit best in to your lifestyle, finances, etc.

Good luck with your new found bundles of joy! They are such wonderful companions :)
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Oct 19, 2004, 10:11 AM
    Speaking from experience, only have as many cats as you have room for. I live on a farm and have 6 cats. All but one are indoor/outdoor.

However, I used to live in a 750 sq. ft.. One bedroom apartment in Ft. Worth where I lived with my husband, 6 cats, and a ferret.

Even then, I had no problems. I was lucky though. My cats were all littermates, fixed at an early age, and I made sure to keep the litter box EXTREMELY clean.

Some cats don't take well to over-crowding. Some feel the more, the merrier. I would say two or three is good to start with...

Use your own good judgement and be sure not to stretch yourself too thin.

Regards,
    Steevo Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2004, 01:48 AM
    We have two cats, Charlotte and Abbey, they are both Chinchilla persians and indoor most of the time, that's Abbey in my 'avatar'. We have a fairly large 2 story house and they still get a bit cagey even though I built them heaps of things to climb on and claw at.

Our girls are companions to each other rather than friends, they are sisters from separate litters but how would I know if they know.. you know..

Charlotte went walkabout for a day recently and Abbey looked all forlorn during her absence so I really think they appreciate company of each other during the day and ours when we get home..

So...

My suggestion to you would simply be more than 1, but not more than would be comfortable for everyone in the space you have.

Thanks

Steve
    Ben H Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Apr 16, 2007, 12:36 PM
    I have four cats, one is pregnant so I'm in it for a bit, but I would go with 3. if you get two and god forbid one dies, it can be hard delling with.3 would be a better option.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 16, 2007, 04:49 PM
    I say get two cats that way you have room for one more. I have three and I got two at the same time and the third one was a rescue later on. The only little extra cleaning is the vacuming of the fur, but it's worth the companionship of my cats, and I have one dog.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2007, 07:17 PM
    I've heard that even numbers are better than odd. With a pair, they'll either be friends (best) or distantly cordial and avoid each other (worst). With three, you run the risk that two will pair up and ostracize the third one.
    Rina _4 Posts: 182, Reputation: 19

Apr 26, 2007, 12:58 PM
    How about 25 cats? Would you think it's too many?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 cats [ 6 Answers ]

I've got 2 cats one is a 2 year old and the mother of the other one that was born in June. Both are female. The mother is VERY laid back and affectionate the youngster is the opposite yet they've always got along, till now. I just walked into the kitchen and as usual the young one nudged mum out...

Poorly cats [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have 3 cats and two of them have been unwell since yesterday morning, they aren't feeding properly and are being very lethargic. They are both 4 years old. They had injections that indicated to may have side effects but this was a week ago could this still be related? Thanks.

Cats Eye [ 8 Answers ]

This morning my cat was lying in bed with me. I put her out while my husband was taking a shower because she has a fascination with water she actually loves it... After he was done with his shower he went into the living room to leave for work and my kitten came back in the bedroom with me. I...

Gay Cats! [ 2 Answers ]

Please give me advice and knowledge because I just saw my MALE cats, in a very disqusting posistion! My older cat was on top of my 3 month kitten!! They neuterd! I don't know what to do or think, I can't find aNy decent articles! Please get back to me asap!

Shy Cats [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend and her roommate just got two kittens. They are brothers and are about 7 or 8 months old. They were strays, their mother abandoned them at about 2 months and they were picked up at around 5 months. They aren't used to people and they try to hide any time they hear someone coming. The...

View more questions Search