Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccmom56 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Oct 8, 2011, 05:56 PM
    Yes I agree with research research research. The more you are informed of your disease, treatments and your medications, the better off you'll be. I even research doctors on line before I go so I know the good and sometimes the bad about them and can make my own decision on whether I want to make an appointment with them or not (just remember that not everyone is always happy. With pain management you will find the drug seekers give bad reveiws. You can usually tell the bad eggs in the bunch). And yes like you I was very lucky to stumble onto this website and found Dr Bill. He helped me a lot,and I'm grateful for him as well. He has great information and is more then willing to go out of his way to help. Do what he says about putting that in you chart. If you need to write a letter do so before you go to the doctors so it'll be ready to have it placed in your chart. Last thing you need is for the situation to be stated one sided on YOUR chart. Good luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2011, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmom56 View Post
    yes i agree with research research research. the more you are informed of your disease, treatments and your medications, the better off you'll be. i even research doctors on line before i go so i know the good and sometimes the bad about them and can make my own decision on whether or not i want to make an appointment with them or not (just remember that not everyone is always happy. with pain management you will find the drug seekers give bad reveiws. you can usually tell the bad eggs in the bunch).... if you need to write a letter do so before you go to the doctors so it'll be ready to have it placed in your chart. last thing you need is for the situation to be stated one sided on YOUR chart. ....
    There is the wisdom of practical experience... ccmom56 has just emphasized the real significance of written communication that I failed to emphasize. The chart maintained by your doctor is about you. Should you change doctors in the future that is the record the new doctor will review. Comments you may make to your current doctor will not be included. Written communication must be included. Make certain that you are included in your record.

Thank you ccmom56. Thank you for coming back and lending support.
    julieanneb Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 11:00 AM
    Dr.Bill,what king of written communication? Do you mean write a letter in addition to the links you provided me with? What do I say?
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2011, 04:52 PM
    Julie,

Did you receive a copy of the test results? I'm looking for the name of the lab that performed the test if you know it.

I will put together a list of the items to include in a letter to your doctor to which you can attach and reference the printouts. It's brief. Just want to look at my files.

Also please let me know which items you intend to print so I can provide the full citation (rather than rely on internet reference).

Oct 10, 2011, 02:28 AM
    I printed out th redwood tox report,the oredering and interpreting urine drug tests,and,the pathology handbook review of oxycodone in urine.

Oct 10, 2011, 02:39 AM
    No,I did not receive a copy of lab that performed test. Shall I stop in and ask for it?
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2011, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by julieanneb View Post
    No,I did not receive a copy of lab that performed test. Shall I stop in and ask for it?
    Don't need it now. You should get a copy for your records when you're there next time.

Oct 10, 2011, 12:17 PM
    Okay. So,should I just bring the papers I printed out when they call me in? Or should I stop by and ask the front desk girls 2 just put them in my file? Also,you mentioned I should write a letter for my chart?
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2011, 09:56 AM
    Julie,

Following are the elements for a letter, modify for your own use.

Date
    Address to doctor (and medical group if applicable)

On or about (insert date) I was advised by your office that a urine drug test had found oxycodone in my urine. As you are aware I am not prescribed oxydcodone. Be advised that I do not now, nor have I ever, taken oxycodone.

The urine drug test performed and relied upon by your office was in error or misinterpreted.

Since receiving advice of these errant findings, it has been brought to my attention that this error is not uncommon. That there are many studies and advisories warning of drug test cross-reaction between hydrocodone, my medication, and oxycodone. I am attaching three (3) such documents from 1) a nationally recognized drug testing laboratory, 2) a university hospital laboratory, and 3) Practice Guidelines (U of Mich). [These are by example only. Every major drug testing laboratory reviewed makes note of this cross reaction]

PLEASE MAINTAIN THIS CORRESPONDENCE IN MY PERMANENT MEDICAL FILE.

[Your signature]
    [Your name printed]

Oct 11, 2011, 04:31 PM
    Your awesome Dr. Bill. Should I swing by and drop all my print outs and letter off,or wait until they call for a random? I am guessing just drop in and ask if they could please place in my chart? Correct? I have soooooooooo many other questions,not pertaining to this but the cocktail of meds I am on and what its doing to me. I hate taking medications.B4 the ms dx,I was a long distance runner,surfed quite often,etc... Now,not sure if it's the MS or the medications. The docs all tell me,oh,it's the disease process,but I do not believe that. I take 4 different meds,alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll sx management. One thing at a time. When I get your answer on my newest question about dropping my "stuff" off,I am going to run some things by you. If you have time. 1 thing,does mild thistle really help with liver function?
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2011, 04:56 PM
    I would drop it off. Demonstrates concern and immediacy. Also ask for a copy of the test.

Please be careful in this process. The doctor seems to be cooperating to this point and it isn't beneficial to get them too riled up unnecessarily.

While I am thinking of it, do you have to pay for the tests?. and the random tests, that was a result of the errant test?

Please remember the limitations I cited above. I am a PhD, not an MD. Among other things that means I can't write prescriptions, I never learned to play golf, and I work on Wednesdays.

Always happy to help with anything I can but, for instance, I have no idea if milk thistle promotes liver function.

Nov 4, 2011, 03:57 PM
    Dr. Bill,I saw pain management today,letter and literature in hand. The first doc that came in was a resident,what a joke,than my regular doc came in,I gave her my handouts and they were so busy,she wrote rx,put said info in chart and out the door I went. Thank you so much for your time. I have something to discuss with you that I have been researching. Low Dose Naltraxone. It makes so much sense to me that people with autoimmune disease have low endorphins. I recall a time when I exercised 4 hours a day. Well,when I was dx in 2009 with MS,I was still a runner,but I had a good balance... I was not fanatical about it. I started norco about 6 months after DX and feel my MS has progressed. My question is,does Norco suck your endorphins dry? I am constantly trying to figure out how I went from being DX and feeling good to where I am now. After much research,I am starting to think it may be all the symptom management meds. The docs all say It's the disease progression and I have always felt in my gut that was BS! Your thoughts please? And again thank you for your help!
    SMB71 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 09:52 AM
    julieanneb and Dr Bill thank you guys for posting. This is a battle I have just begun but reading your story has given me hope, I am sure this report is probably going to get to the employer before I can get it straightened out, which means I won't get the job due to this incorrect report.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tested positive foe oxycodone take hydrocodone. Sendine urine out to lab. [ 8 Answers ]

I take hyrocodone. Went to my first visit to a pain clinic here where I moved to. Old clinic was taking oxycodone.. months ago. Came up positive on drug screen in office for oxycodone. I KNOWN I have not taken this drugs for quite some time. Said she would send it out to the lab. What are my...

Positive test.. then bleeding... then negative urine test.. could I still be pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

I took a clear blue HPT which was positive.. I have had most symptoms ( swollen sore boobs, feeling sick etc) I started with an aching back then I started to bleed not too heavy it stopped for a day and started again I took another HPT and it was negative... the doctor also did a urine test which...

I was recently UA tested for Oxycodone. My test came back negative, the test papers s [ 13 Answers ]

Recently I was UA tested for Oxycodone. The test came back negative, the test papers said - U Oxycodone Lvl: Oxycodone detection limit 100ng/ml. Reference Range: Negative I am taking 10mg Oxycodone every 12 hours. The test was taken almost exactly 12 hours from my last dose. I cannot tell...

Difference between hydrocodone & oxycodone [ 12 Answers ]

Nobody seems to know the difference between hydrocodone(vicodin) and oxycodone(percocet) besides hydrocodone is a class 3, and oxycodone is a class 2, and that oxycodone is stronger then hydrocodone

Hydrocodone/Oxycodone Allergies the Same? [ 1 Answers ]

I had an alergic reaction to Hydrocodone following a lumpectomy. I was then prescribed Darvocet, which did not work. Will I also be allergic to Oxycodone? Help! I'd really like to sleep tonight. :(

View more questions Search