Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2011, 04:29 AM
    Bought a manufactured home from out of state dealer and they went out of business.
    Bought a manufactured home from out of state dealer and they went out of business. I paid them 25k down. Plus 15k for
    Setup an delivery,they will finance the rest. They delivered the house in my lot and after that they disappeared. This was in 2005. I'm in California . I found out this dealer went out of business and ripped over 300 people with deposits and never delivered their houses. I lost that lot, now this house is been stored in a friends lot since then. What should I do? I do not have the title and they are nowhere to be found. Can not use the house, can not sell it. Please help.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 7, 2011, 10:24 AM
    So you are saying that you no longer have any use for it and want to sell it.

I suggest you call the California DMV and find out the best way to get a title to it. Usually there are procedures for a "lost title" which may apply.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2011, 11:51 AM
    You need to contact the factory where the home was made and speak to them about getting a MCO (manufacturers certificate of origin) paper from them so you can get the home titled in your state. Then if they send this to you go down to the DMV and get the home titled in your name.

If you want to then you can move the home to your specified location and have it put together (if it is a double wide) or just properly set up (if a single wide) and live in it as you have the home titled in your name. Or if you want to after you get the title you can sell it.

I am wondering how you could have purchased a home from an out of state dealer as dealers are only licensed to sell homes in the state they are in.

If the above solutions don't help you can contact the Manufactured Homes Commission in your state's capitol and speak to them about the title and the dealership.

I worked at a manufactured home dealership in Ohio and knew how to title mobile homes new or used.
    antro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 01:09 AM
    Thanks to all that answered,Let me explain a little more about my problem. This was a dealer from Utah and they were licensed and qualified to sell houses in Nevada,Arizona,Utah,Washington state and California,they just left it not even inside my lot (back in 2005), 'cause was raining and the two trucks got stuck in the mud I had to pay $1,500 to a guy who had this remote control tractor to move them into the right place.
    2 weeks later I went to check the house and somebody took the fridge and stove out of the one piece with the kitchen, (house is double wide)I filed a report with local police. A few months after they delivered it, they sent some guys to put it together,they didn't finish it,never got my AC unit, I had to pay somebody to finish it to avoid water damage. I tried to call them for months with no luck,finally I got a letter from them saying that they couldn't qualify me for the rest of the money I owe.that was in 2006.
    That's the last thing I heard from them,I found out they got in a lot of trouble with the real state enforcement and even FBI for all the frauds they did, they closed doors, and disappeared. Since I never got the letter or title the city was requesting for the permits for permanent installation, I couldn't finish the House,lost the 50% down I paid for the lot ($15K), the down for the permanent foundation and septic,survey, water meter, lot cleaning 2.5 acres. Grading, garage blue prints,etc,etc.And at the end I had to to move the house from my lot, and store it in a friends land, another 5K. Is been more than 6 years since they delivered it. Is it a Good idea to contact the manufacturer? Since I didn't pay the rest of the money? Is it possible that this dealer owes money to the manufacturer? I heard the manufacturer just went BK. (Fleetwood).
    What's going to happen to all the money I lost if they want this house back. The house was in my lot unfinished for three years, never used it,they had the address,they delivered it, and nobody went there or left a note.
    Can somebody give me some legal advise, or help me to find some other options? Is it possible to put a lien on it? House is worth nothing without the title, and I lost all my savings in it. Thanks in advance to all and God bless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

S Corporation - One business sold and bought (started) a new business [ 0 Answers ]

My friend (an owner of S corporation) closed her old restaurant in Apr and bought/started a new restaurant in June. She was not able to sell the old restaurant. What kind of journal entry should she make?

I owned a manufactured home and bought a new home in 09 can I get the tax credit [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a new home in 2009. I owned a manufactured home that had a title, will I be eligible for the first time homebuyers credit. The manufactured home was in a community on leased land.

How to get title to moble home when dealer out of business [ 1 Answers ]

How I obtain a title to my moblehome, we never received it from the dealer and they went out of business. ( Shrum's Moblehome's of Mishawaka Indiana) Thank You, Pat

I bought a used car, but the dealer is not giving me the title. [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a second hand car a few months ago. The Dealer promised to give me the car's title in 5 or 6 weeks. And, the Dealer wrote down "clean title" in the contract as well. After a month Or so, the dealer said I must pay 146$ more to have the title for my Car. The fact was a rental company...

View more questions Search