Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chemhelpa2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2011, 02:04 AM
    How do you prepare iodine solution from solid iodine?
    I have looked on the internet and can't find a clear process. Does it involve potassium iodide?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2011, 05:16 AM
    Yes. Have you looked on wikipedia as well?

Iodine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the most distinctive properties of iodine is the way that its solubility in water is enhanced by the presence of iodide ions. The dissolution of iodine in aqueous solutions containing iodide (e.g. from hydroiodic acid, potassium iodide, etc.) results from the formation of the ion. Dissolved bromides also improve water solubility of iodine.
    So, you add water and some potassium iodide to the solid iodine and you have your iodine solution! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Iodine deficiency [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a quick question. I've read online that an easy way to check for iodine deficiency is to apply iodine to your skin. On 1 website it stated that if the iodine loses it's colour before 4 hours, it means you're iodine deficient, on another it says 6 hours and yet another says 24...

Iodine levels [ 2 Answers ]

Which foods are rich in iodine?

Iodine and pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

I am 6 1/2 weeks pregnant. I know I should be taking tablets with the complete range of vitamins and minerals needed. But I have tried 2 brands and cannot take thm due to size, even if I crush them (I know its mostly psychological) I am under the impression that folate is the most important. I...

View more questions Search