Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kodey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 09:01 PM
    Circuit breaker working when tripped?
    I have one 20 amp circuit breaker, on approx. 20 outlets, instantly tripping. Curiously several outlets still maintain full power. Replaced breaker, which looked fine, same deal. Unplugged all items from dead outlets, same deal. Checked outer area of outlets, and listened in areas for pops, nothing, and same deal. Spark at breaker when trips, but no burning or scorching or smell. Loose connection between outlets? And why would part of the circuit work with a tripped breaker?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2011, 02:47 AM
    Need to check for voltage coming back on the wire leaving the panel from the breaker that is tripping, sounds like a miswire out in the circuit feeding power back to the breaker. Any chance this wire is part of a 3 wire cable?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2011, 11:07 AM
    Somewhere you have a short coming from 1 circuit that is getting into another circuit through a crossed wire. It shorts to that breaker but power continues on others since the other circuit is hot. The hot may be touching a neutral somewhere. BTW, 20 outlets on 1 20AMP is quite a potential load. Is all the wiring 12AWG? Pull the last outlet where no power exists and look at the wiring and then pull the outlet where the box is hot and look there. Look for a loose neutral or hot lead.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2011, 05:19 AM
    There is no code limitation on the quantity of general purpose outlets on a residential circuit.

A loose neutral or hot will not cause a circuit breaker to trip.

There can be a short or mis-wire between two circuits, either two in one cable or two in one junction box, that can backfeed from one circuit to another and cause a breaker to trip.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2011, 09:20 AM
    I should have been more clear about a "loose neutral or hot"... I was suggesting it was contacting another hot wire, not just be loose. IWhile there is no limitation on quantity of outlets, I used the term potential" since 20 outlets gives you a lot of places to plug things into and possibly overload a circuit.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2011, 09:50 PM
    Take an extension cord and a lamp and bring it back to the panel as you switch off breakers. Either you are wrong about which outlets are on the tripping breaker, or there is a incorrect connection somewhere in the line. Once you find the breaker, it's a matter or opening up the outlets and checking wiring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No power, but circuit breaker not tripped [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I woke up this morning to no power to a portion of my house. The circuit that seems to have the problem is the garage/small half-bath, but the circuit breaker does not appear to be tripped. Those are the only two rooms in the house that have no power. I did turn it off and back on again...

Power on circuit goes on and off - circuit breaker not tripped [ 3 Answers ]

The power on one of our circuit serving the garage and outside outlets goes off, but the circuit breaker does not trip. It used to go off for a few minutes/hours and to come back on for days/months. Now it is seems to be off most of the time, but still comes back occasionally for a few minutes...

Why is only one breaker on a two pole circuit working [ 8 Answers ]

I have a sub panel run from a 60 amp breaker on the main panel. I installed a new double pole 30 amp (two 30 amp breakers joined together) in the sub panel but only one of the breakers seems to be working according to my tester. I noticed that another breaker, a 20 amp single pole circuit...

A/C circuit breaker tripped but working now.need to diagnose. [ 28 Answers ]

My A/C circuit breaker tripped two nights ago (after a huge rain shower in the evening), and each time I reset it, it tripped within 3 seconds. I then, shut OFF the Main, reset the A/C circuit breaker, and then turned ON the Main. The A/C has been working fine ever since. What do you think was the...

View more questions Search