Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amyklane Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 05:30 PM
    How can I tell if my dog is pregnant?
    I have 2 miniature daschunds, my female was on heat and finished about 3wks ago now. We were trying to mate them, but every time I tried to help she would go shy and just want me. They were together all other times through her heat. So we don't know if he got to her or not it was both their first time at trying. I know I can take her to the vet and get a scan to see if she is pregnant. I'm just wanting to know if there are any signs or symptoms I can check on at home to tell if she is pregnant?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 05:50 PM
    There is very little you can do but wait until a month is up and take her to the vet.

You really need to educate yourself if you are going to be breeding dogs. I really wonder if you have done any of the research needed to breed in a responsible manner. Do you know what the common genetic problems of mini Dachshunds are? Have you researched their pedigrees to make sure their lines are free of them? Are they well behaved, healthy, and fine examples of the breed? Go to American Kennel Club - akc.org and read their recommendations on breeding. Read some books. Successful Dog Breeding, by Chris Walkowicz, DMV is a good one to start with.
    amyklane Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amyklane
    I have 2 miniature daschunds, my female was on heat and finished about 3wks ago now. We were trying to mate them, but every time I tried to help she would go shy and just want me. They were together all other times through her heat. So we don't know if he got to her or not it was both their first time at trying. I know I can take her to the vet and get a scan to see if she is pregnant. I'm just wanting to know if there are any signs or symptoms I can check on at home to tell if she is pregnant?
    Yes I do understand the responsibities of breeding responsibly. I have owned mini doxie's for 10yrs and understand fully the pros and cons of the breed. I have never bred them before and have researched through other responsible breeders. My boy is 10yrs old and we have had him since he was 6wks old and our girl is 1.5yrs old and she will be with us for life. I will only be breeding with her the once and we were trying our boy as we would like one of his puppies to stay with us. To me our dogs are part of our family. It's a pity some breeders just treat their dogs like they were money and once they have finished with them just sell them off. I thought I would register and ask if anyone knew a simple way of diagnosing pregnancy at home without having to make a trip to the vet just yet. By the way a mini doxie with white fur is called a double dapple and yes they are prone to genetic disorders. This comes about when irrisponsible breeders breed 2 dapple daschunds together producing a double daschund, 50% or more of the puppies are born with genetic disorders such as deafness, blindness and many other mutations. I have a silver dapple doxie. Not everyone knows the answer to everything labman, but you seem to answer most of the questions.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 09:31 PM
    I intend to do all I can to discourage breeding as long as we are slaughtering 10,000,000 dogs a year for lack of homes. This is not a good link for children to follow, Brightlion | In Hope

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant dog [ 1 Answers ]

How can I tell when my daschund is pregnant? For the last week she has been whining and seems to be uncomfortable but she doesn't seem to be gaining a lot of weight??

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Pregnant Dog crying [ 2 Answers ]

Our dog is pregnant. We breed her on April 8th and now all of a sudden last night she was real uncomfortable and crying. If we talked with her or petted her she was fine. Tonight she started the same. She is eating fine. Isn't it a little early? Do you think the pups are just moving around and she...

Help with a pregnant female dog [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me the behaviour of a pregnant female dog, How they would act towards other dogs/females,

I think the stray dog is pregnant,how do I tell? [ 4 Answers ]

there has been a stray lab outside my house for the past 2 days, and we have tried feeding it but it won't eat, it only drinks a little water every now and then. i'm thinking that it is pregnant, but i can't tell. can someone help me?? also, i want to let it stay in our yard, but i already have...

View more questions Search