Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progtick Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2011, 09:40 AM
    Getting foreign tax credit - DTAA
    If I am claiming credit for tax paid to the foreign country, how would I convert the currency to USD? What date should I use to look up the forex rate?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 4, 2011, 02:31 PM
    You have several choices. You can:

1) Pick the date the exchange actually happened, i.e. the date the taxes were paid.

2) Pick the AVERAGE exchange rate for the year. You can get the IRS official average from www.irs.gov.

3) Pick the MEDIAN exchange rate (July 1st).

You just need to be consistent in your choice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing you.S. Taxes: Foreign Income Exclusion AND Foreign Tax Credit? Etc. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about how to file U.S. taxes in a way that will give me the most benefit in my situation. Here are the details: 1. I'm a U.S. citizen, living in Japan. 2. I made less than the maximum allowed for the foreign income exclusion for each year I want to file. 3. I...

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: A us company Frank expand with a new co (Ana) formation into a foreign host company with a 20% tax on corporate income within its borders. At the end of its fourth yr of operations the foreign corp Ana distributes $100,000 to Frank from its earning and progits previously taxes by the host...

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

Tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 3 Answers ]

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit

Query on foreign-earned taxation India/US DTAA [ 4 Answers ]

I was employed in US by a US organization for 5 months from Aug'05 to Dec'05 on H1B visa. I had file US returns with IRS in the month of April '06 with filing status as 'Other Single Non-resident alien', as I did not satisfy the substantial presence test of 183 days in US. Now, while I am...

View more questions Search