Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdalapati Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2011, 09:07 AM
    Measuring carbon dioxide sodium for smoke?
    How can I measure the amount of carbon dioxide emmissions when wood is burned?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2011, 10:38 AM
    Assuming that the wood contains only carbon, water and oxygen, you could burn the wood in a known excess of oxygen, pass the gas produced in water to remove all the water, then pass the resultant gas though lime water and collect the residual gas which is oxygen only.

From that, you can get the amount of oxygen used for combustion, and deduce the amount of carbon dioxide produced.
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Oct 5, 2011, 01:42 PM
    If you dry the gasses and then pass them through a soda lime or Ascarite tube you can weigh the absorbed CO2 directly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sodium hydroxide-Carbon dioxide rate of reaction [ 2 Answers ]

Considering I know the rate of reaction of atmospheric CO2 with NaOH,can I find the rate of pure CO2 reaction with NaOH based on ratio CO2 of concentration in air,both reactions are under similar conditions.

Sulfur dioxide plus carbon dioxide [ 1 Answers ]

Per Myhrvold's idea (Fareed Zakaria, CNN) for solving global warming, adding a certain volume of sulfur dioxide mist at a certain rate to the outer atmosphere will help to reflect sunlight by 1 degree, which will "check" the amount of carbon dioxide which is responsible for what is believed to be...

What does carbon dioxide plus sodium hydroxide yield? [ 5 Answers ]

:rolleyes: what does carbon dioxide plus sodium hydroxide yield?

View more questions Search