Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klpre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Amana 80SSE running on Generator
    We have an Amana 80 SSE and have it wired so that we can unplug the furnace from the electrical connection and plug it into a generator.

We have tried this several times and it will start the blower and ignite the pilot but will not keep the furnace lit for more than about 10 or 15 seconds. We've tried making sure the generator is grounded (suggested by the furnace installer who says they have had similar problems with many customers.) The generator runs other appliances fine and doesn't drag down when the furnace is plugged in. It just won't continue to run.

Does anyone have any info regarding how to get the furnace to run on the generator?

Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 02:37 PM
    There have been several such posts here. I think both the furnace and generator need to be properly grounded. The green wire from the generator cord must be connected to the framework of the furnace.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 02:38 PM
    I am assuming that the furnace runs fine when plugged into household current. Use a multimeter to check the output of your generator. I think you are going to find it is not putting out 110 vac and your furnace may be temperamental about the right current.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amana furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am having so much trouble, trouble shooting my furnace, I have a Amana Furnace, I noticed that the Burner is not staying long enough for the heat to blow through the vent. This is my observation, once adjusted the temp desired in the thermostat, the burner on the furnace...

Amana furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I misplace the wiring diagram and installation manual for my Amana Furnace. Any chance someone, website may have a good source for that: Mod # GUCO70B40A, Serial # 9110104173, Mfg # P9114303F Suggestions for a fix would be appreciated also: Having problems starting. The igniter works fine...

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

Amana 80 sse [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me how to clean the striking unit on my furnace. Every year because of the dust that gathers, I have to pay someone to do this. One tech told me how, but I do not remember. Due to the venting of our furnace it is an ongoing issue and does not warrant the $$ of the cleaning yearly.

View more questions Search