Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CeliaOliveira Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 02:28 PM
    Can I sue a bank for their mistake and my humiliation and troubles?
    I opened an account in HSBC in Brazil before immigrating to Canada. I was asked for all the paperwork, IR statements etc. I was granted a Premier account. I came to Canada in March and went to HSBC and opened an account and got a credit card. Now, six months later I apply for a Line of Credit, which Premier clients have pre-approved.
    After I signed all the paperwork was told to wait until I got an email from my account manager saying that it was OK if I needed to use it, I could.
    I closed a deal on a car that was $13,000 and the PLC approved was for $25,000. Whe went to get the certified check they told me it was on hold. The credit manager then called me and started asking all these questions, making me feel very humiliated and kind of saying that I was not eligible to have the client status that I had because I had done something wrong to get it.
    Now I couldn't get the car but still had to settle fro another model which was not the type or value that I wanted because based on the email from the manager I had already given $500 that the dealer was not going to reimburse me.
    They want to downgrade my client status and decrease my credit card limit and I fear that kind of action will affect my credit ratings as well.
    I feel humiliated, angry and very disrespected by HSBC.
    When I was leaving the branch, they gave me a gift photo frame. And that made me feel very offended as well.
    Is there anything I could do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2011, 02:37 PM
    You can sue, but I doubt if you will come close to winning. It will cost you money just to lose. I don't see any grounds for wrongdoing on the bank's part.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Ask for the SPECIFIC reasons you were denied credit in this amount. Have you checked your credit agency reports to make certain that they are correct and bad or incorrect information isn't posted?

What is the time frame that is involved? It is not unusual for banks and other lending institutions to periodically review their clients' finances and either increase or decrease a line of credit or credit card limit. Pre-approved also very often does not mean "pre-approved." Have you ever received a "pre-approved" credit application in the mail when you've never applied for a loan or credit card? If you read the small print it almost always has a line about "pending bank approval" (or similar language).

Am I correct that you received written confirmation of the higher dollar amount, you signed a contract for a vehicle and then the credit dollar amount available to you was reduced?

You need to find out exactly why this happened before you can proceed.

As a practical matter why not apply for an auto loan? The loan will be secured (by the vehicle), making it a smaller risk for the bank, as opposed to an unsecured line of credit.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 3, 2011, 02:43 PM
    You probably can file a lawsuit, but I doubt it would be worthwhile from a time/money perspective.

What do you want from the bank?
    An apology?
    Reimbursement for your car?

You could speak to a manager at your local branch and see what they are willing to do to keep you as a customer, but I'd prepare to move my business to another bank if I was unhappy with their service.
    CeliaOliveira Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 05:34 PM
    Well the whole problem and what upset me the most was the bank saying something sort of like: Your account in Brazil was given to you against the bank's criteria, so you weren´t eligible for it but they worked in a wrong way and gave it to you anyway. They said it as if I was to be responsible for the branch in Brazil making the mistake. I felt prejudiced and harmed.
    Isn't this country (Canada) all about respect to any person who you are dealing with?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue my bank, my branch manager lied about legal documents to and another bank [ 4 Answers ]

My branch manager lied to me and another bank about documentation ab out a loan a was getting from that other bank. Held the loan process,held up some closings on properties that a was purchasing.

Bank Mistake [ 3 Answers ]

“You can get pretty much the same services at any bank, but if you take care of your customers, everything else falls into place.” (Quote from Tom Meuser CEO El Dorado Savings) My 88 year old Aunt moved in with me last October 2008, shortly thereafter she put me on her bank accounts. A few...

Can I sue My bank for their mistake? [ 8 Answers ]

I opened a new checking account online , then I went to my local branch and signed the signature card and made a deposit. I was told my account was ready to go. I made a deposit to this account on October 31 to cover payment for a new Insurance policy I was taking out. We had insurance with...

Can I sue them for humiliation? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. I live in malaysia. I would like to ask a question. I mortgaged my house at a bank, and unfortunately, I had not been able to pay for the house again for quite some time. The bank is going to put my house up for auction at the end of August. And lucky me, I could now pay for the house's...

Bank has no lien on my house by their mistake [ 4 Answers ]

We bought our house 2 ˝ years ago, we never missed any payments. I just found out that the house deed was released a while ago by the bank. So there is no lien on my property. They did this by mistake since I did not finish my loan, we bought the house only 2 ˝ years ago and we took a loan for...

View more questions Search