Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liskom1957 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2011, 01:04 AM
    Master budget accounting - can't get balance sheet to balance
    The balance sheet is out by $56000 - which happens to be the cost of the plant and equipment purchased. - I have done this 3 times, manually & on excel and can't find where I am going wrong

I have attached my excel workings, any advice would be greatly appreciated

The assignment is as below

Earrings Unlimited, a distributor of earrings to various retail outlets located in shopping malls across the country.

Prepare comprehensive budgets for the upcoming second quarter in order to show management the benefits that can be gained from an integrated budgeting program. To this end, you have worked with accounting and other areas to gather the information assembled below.

The company sells many styles of earrings, but all are sold for the same price-$10.00 per pair. Actual sales of earrings for the last three months and budgeted sales for the next six month follow (in pairs of earrings):

January (actual) 20,000 February (actual) 26,000
    March (actual) 40,000 April (budget) 65,000
    May (budget) 100,000 June (budget) 50,000
    July (budget) 30,000 August (budget) 28,000
    September (budget) 25,000

The concentration of sales before and during May is due to Mother's Day. Sufficient inventory should be on hand at the end of each month to supply 40% of the earrings sold in the following month. Suppliers are paid $4.00 for a pair of earrings. One-half of a month's purchases in paid for in the month of the purchase; the other half is paid for in the following month. All sales are on credit, with no discount, and payable within 15 days. The company has found, however, that only 20 percent of a month's sales are collected in the month of sale. An additional 70 percent is collected in the following month, and the remaining 10 percent in the second month following sale. Bad debts have been negligible.

Monthly operation expenses for the company are given below:

Variable:
    Sales Commission 4% of sales
    Fixed:
    Advertising 200,000
    Rent 18,000
    Salaries 106,000
    Utilities 7,000
    Insurance 3,000
    Depreciation 14,000

Insurance is paid on an annual basis, in November of each year. The company plans to purchase 16,000 in new equipment during May and $40,000 in new equipment during June; both purchases will be for cash. The company declares dividends of $15,000 each quarter payable in the first month of the following quarter.

A listing of the company's ledger accounts as of March 31 is given below:

Assets

Cash 74,000
    Accounts receivalbe ($26,000 February sales;$320,00 March sale 346,000
    Inventory 104,000
    Prepaid Insurance 21,000
    Property and equipment (net) 950,000

Total Assets 1,495,000

Liabilities and Stockholders Equity

Accounts payable 100,000
    Dividends payable 15,000
    Capital stock 800,000
    Retained earnings 580,000

Total liabilities and Stockholders Equity 1,495,000

The company maintains a minimum cash balance of 50,000. All borrowing is done at the beginning of a month, and repayments are made at the end of a month. The annual interest rate is 12 percent. Interest is computed and paid at the end of each quarter on all loans outstanding during the quarter.

Required;

Prepare a master budget for the three-month period ending June 30. Include the following detailed budgets;

1. A. A sales budget, by month and in total
    B. A schedule of expected cash collections from sales, by month and in total
    C. A merchandise purchaser budget in units and in dollars. Show the budget by month and in total.
    D. A schedule of expected cash disbursements for merchandise purchases, by month and in total.

2. A cash budget. Show the budget by the month and in total. Determine any borrowing that would be needed to maintain the minimum cash balance of $50,000

3. A budgeted income statement for the three months period ending June 30. Use the contribution approach.

4. A budgeted balance sheet as of June 30.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls Man Acctg Assignment 2 mum.xls (37.0 KB, 215 views)

Check out some similar questions!

Cash Budget; Income Statement; Balance Sheet [ 9 Answers ]

The balance sheet of Phototec, Inc. a distributor of photographic supplies, as of May 31 is given below: PHOTOTEC, INC, Way 31 Assets Cash $ 8,000 Accounts receivable 72,000 Inventory 30,000 Buildings and equipment, net of depreciation 500,000 Total assets $610,000Liabilities and...

Master budget (accounting)- error in balance sheet and I can't work it out [ 1 Answers ]

Please find attached my workings The balance sheet is out by $56000 - which happens to be the same amount spent on plant and equipment I have done this assignment on excel and manually and still am not getting any closer Your help is greatly apppreciated This is the assignment Earrings...

I can't get this balance sheet to balance out on my homework (I'm new to Accounting) [ 1 Answers ]

Balance Sheet Assets Equipment $29,000 Cash 4,600 Supplies 2,400 Accounts Receivable 4,000 Total Assets $40,000 Liabilities

How to prepare budget balance sheet [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having problems in preparing a budgeted balance sheet.I'm confused about how to treat the prepaid insurance from the current BS to the budgeted one.Bcuz the text said that the annual insurance is $180,000 so I wonder whether we minus the prepaid amount from here to know the paid amount. One...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.