Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 06:02 PM
    Non Resident Wife of US permanent resident
    Hi

I got married this year and my wife is still in Pakistan. I will not be applying for her Green card until next year when I become US citizen. Would I be able to file my 2011 tax under "married filing jointly" category? She doesn't work and has absolutely no income. What kind of identifications do I have to show for her? Do I need to also provide our marriage certificate (translation)?

Thanks
    Imad
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Oct 2, 2011, 07:20 PM
    If you are a resident alien/permanent resident you can choose to treat your wife as resident alien for tax purposes. You would need to add a statement about this choice to your tax return including both your names, addresses, SSNs or ITINs and both of you must sign. Than you can file as married filing jointly.
    You would need to apply for an ITIN for her if she is not eligible for an SSN. To apply for an ITIN use form W7.
    Have a look here how to obtain an ITIN from abroad:
    http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0, id=96690,00.html
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2011, 08:15 PM
    I know this is what I would normally do if she was here. But can I still do this although she has never been to US and I have not applied her green card yet (as I said I'll do that next year when I have my citizenship). Thanks for your help.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Oct 2, 2011, 08:40 PM
    Yes you can. Look at the link I provided.
    There it says for example:
    Thus, in the case of an individual who lives abroad and who is filing Form W-7 with the IRS to apply for an ITIN, instead of attaching his/her original passport, national identity card, birth certificate, etc. to Form W-7, he/she can attach "copies" of these documents to Form W-7 accompanied by an apostille properly signed or sealed by one of the appointed competent authorities of his own nation. A model apostille may be found at: Apostille. In addition, refer to Apostille Section.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State Tax status. F1 student, resident, non-resident or part-year resident [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert/any tax expert I am a student on F1 status. I graduated from Univ of GA in December 2009. I moved to NC the first week of February 2010 and still in NC till now. Before moving in February I didn't work at all in GA, I was basically just packing my things and searching for...

State Tax status. F1 student, resident, non-resident or part-year resident [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert/MukatA I am a student on F1 status. I graduated from Univ of GA in December 2009. I moved to NC the first week of February 2010 and still in NC till now. Before moving in February I didn't work at all in GA, I was basically just packing my things and searching for jobs...

Question about moving/taxes (resident/non-resident/part-resident status) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently moved from DC to New York for work, but between leases I moved back home with my parents for a month in NJ. I'm a little confused what forms I need to fill out. My situation was: Lived/Worked in DC from Jan - Mid-Nov (Should require the DC Resident Return) Lived in NJ/Worked...

View more questions Search