Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mimiee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 09:55 AM
    Why is my hair blonde?
    My moms family ALL have red hair, and my dads is a shade of brown. My mom has never known a blonde in her family and my grandfathers, grandmother (on my dads side) was the only one in my family with blondISH hair? So how is it that my hair is blonde?
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 1, 2011, 10:19 AM
    To put it simply:

We have a pair of genes for basic hair colour. The gene for blonde hair is recessive. That means for it to show up you have to have 2 blonde genes. The gene for brown hair is dominant. So if you have 2 brown genes your hair will be brown, but if you have one brown gene and one blonde gene your hair will still look brown. So for example you could have 2 parents, neither of whom have hair that looks blonde, but who both have a recessive gene for blondness. If their child gets one blonde gene from each parent then the child has blonde hair.

It is actually a bit more complicated than this since other genes are also involved in the 'redness' of hair and scientists still don't fully understand all the mechanics.

If you want to read a bit more:

Hair Colors Explained
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2011, 10:36 AM
    Yes, the gene was there and you got it, no real surprise or issue
    joker222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2013, 07:01 AM
    You're Adopted
    Teju220 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 06:05 AM
    Because you genes

They decide all your characteristics and everything

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have bleach blonde hair what color of semi permanent warm golden blonde? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to go from bleached blond back to light brown, do I go to a warm golden blonde and then in that same day color it light brown

I dyed my brown hair blonde and it came out bright ginger with blonde roots, [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get all over blonde, when my hair is ginger with blonde roots

How soon can I dye my hair to a blonde shade closer to my natural blonde color after [ 1 Answers ]

Im a natural blonde and I dyed my hair black and had the black striped out about 4 Months ago.they then had to bleach and tone it 2 weeks later And I've been deep conditioning it diiferent ways since . It looks more yellow than blonde its hideous.I want to dye it once More And get it trimmed...

I recently had brown dye on my lighten blonde hair, how to I get the blonde back? [ 2 Answers ]

Prlease help. I have had my dark hair lightened for years, as blonde suits me better. However I wend to hairdresses last week and decided to have my roots lightened with bleach blonde hightlites instead tint. However, the salon put a lot of brown lowlites in too, which look alwful, how to I get...

View more questions Search