Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgross Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 07:42 AM
    Mapping more than 26 share drives
    Hi I need to make a login script for our office which has more than forty employees. The login script is to map their personal shared drive folder. Is there a way to do this even though there are more than twenty six people?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 2, 2011, 03:20 AM
    Use the same drive letter for each person's personal share. Also, the drive limit may be less than 26 due to local drives.

Example:
    Bob's login script maps Z: to \\Server\Users\Bob
    Mary's login script maps Z: to \\Server\Users\Mary
    Tina's login script maps Z: to \\Server\Users\Tina

The username can be provided in the script with %username%.
    EyeNoNothing Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Oct 2, 2011, 11:47 AM
    Are you running windows active directory? If so, you can map home folders through the AD profile without having to mess with the login script.

Oct 2, 2011, 04:20 PM
    I am running active directory. Its used on the Readynas that the shares are located on. I was thinking of making shares for every department. Ie: finance. And under finance have everyone's individual folder there. Map each finance user, the finance folder that has there own sub folder with in it. Would that work? This way I wouldn't have to use so many letters. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2011, 04:25 PM
    No, Scleros is giving you the correct method. Each user uses the same letter to access their personal share. Creating departmental folders is unnecessary. If you want to organize by department do that in AD.

What happens if an employee changes department are you going to move the folder?

Oct 2, 2011, 04:40 PM
    So if I make the same login script for each user save it in the user profile in the active directory, but substitute the user name and folderand use the same letter it will work? So when they login it won't give an error message that the drive letter is in use already? By the way thanks for everyone's help with this, I'm a beginner helpdesk technician and am learning new things everyday!Thanks, Tom

Oct 2, 2011, 04:43 PM
    It would only create an error if they already have another drive mapped to that letter. So you do need to find a free letter for the drive. But generally mappings are controlled by the network admin and users aren't allowed to create their own without permission. Also network mappings are done before user mappings. So it's the user mapping that would be flagged as conflicting.

Oct 2, 2011, 04:46 PM
    great so I should use like z or something then right?No one ever uses that one if they are mapping there own.

Oct 2, 2011, 04:53 PM
    How about U for User.
    EyeNoNothing Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Oct 2, 2011, 05:54 PM
    If you want to skip editing the login script, you can create the home folder and map it using Active Directory.

Open the user object in AD and click on the profile tab where you would assign the login script. Here you can select the drive letter for the home folder and specify the path (ie \\readynas\users\%username%)

If the folder does not exist, AD will create it. If the folder does exist, AD will ask if you want to give the current user rights to the folder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drive mapping [ 3 Answers ]

Why is that I have to remap a network drive over a wireless network every time I startup my laptop

How do I connect 2 computers to share drives wirelessly [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, Ok I am in need of some help here as I am working on trying to figure some networking or remote desktop setups out. Here's what I want to do and what I have to do so... I have a small store and currently have 1 cashregister computer setup. It's a windows xp pro computer with a program...

View more questions Search