Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gerilyn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 06:48 AM
    Should house cedar shakes be hand stained painted or can they be spray stained paint
    I have a 38 year old cedar shake house that has always been brushed oil stained in the past. I now will be using an acrylic solid color stain as oil stain in not environmentally allowed. Does it matter which process is use, hand brushing acrylic stain or spraying acrylic stain on to the cedar shakes?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 1, 2011, 06:55 AM
    "oil stain in not environmentally allowed" where do you live, is this a law or an opinion? You can spray but you will need to do quite a bit of back brushing.

Oct 1, 2011, 07:11 AM
    According to Olympic Paint Company Consumer Service Department solid color oil stain is not sold in NY, PA or NJ due to envoronmental laws which vary state to state. I live in NY. The key word here is solid color, as oil stain is sold but not in solid color which I need to cover. Solid color oid stain is sold in VT and West Virginia, etc. Therefore I am using acrylic base stain. What is back brushing?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2011, 09:12 AM
    One issue you may have is bonding a non solvented stain over an oil base. The oil does not allow the new stain to"grip". Back brushing is using a brush to blend in the stain coat. If I lived close to VT, I might "shop" there.

Oct 1, 2011, 08:17 PM
    Thanks for all your responses. I thought of going to VT but Olympic couldn't tell me where in VT their solid color oil base stain was being sold. I check with Consumers Report and Behr Paint was rated very well. I am going forward with a Behr acrylic base solid color stain. It has been about 7 years since an oil stain was put on the house and I don't think there is much oil stain left on the house. It looks pretty dry. I am hoping I do not have a bonding issue. Thanks again for all of your responses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stairs - Stained riser, painted skirt-board transition [ 0 Answers ]

Any thoughts on the transition from a stained riser to a painted skirt-board on and open stair way? Some type of molding to cover the end cut of the riser and the joint between riser and skirt? Thanks

Can a concrete floor that has been stained be painted over with epoxy paint? [ 2 Answers ]

I just stained a concrete floor with stain bought from The Home Depot. I am not happy with the way it looks so I want to know if I can just paint over it or do I have to strip the stain.

Repairing cracked cedar shakes that are painted [ 2 Answers ]

We have a ranch house with painted cedar shake siding. As we prep to repaint, I am wondering whether we need to caulk the places where the siding has cracked vertically, before we paint.

Painted wood cabinets stained from fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

My kitchen cabinets have become discolored from the fireplace located in the kitchen. What is the best way to remove these stains? The cabinets seem to have a lamenet finish on them and I cannot remove the stains. Thanks :

How to Prep & Paint Cedar Shakes [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. We moved into our house last summer and need to paint it this year. It has cedar shakes which are in very good shape. Lots of peeling on everything other than the shakes though. Can anyone offer advice on how to prep and paint cedar shakes? For example, do I need to scrape, prime, then...

View more questions Search