Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breakyou123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Claiming biological child on taxes.
    I am currrently living with my boyfriend and I am almost 3 months pregnant. He and I are planning to get married soon after our child is born. He already has another child, a two year old with his ex, whom he was with for five years. He has just recently established child support payments and they have a set schedule for visitations, which they usually abide by with no conflict. The only problem is that this year she's saying that it is her right to claim their son on her taxes, when she and the child lived with him for 8 of 12 months last year. Is this correct? Shouldn't he be able to claim, not only the child but his ex as well? He's not so adamant about claiming her, but we defnitely think that claiming his son is only fair. My boyfriend has been a prominent part of his son's life since he was born and has lived with him and supported him financially his entire life until last August when he and she split and she moved out of his house. There hasn't been a time that he hasn't supported him. So is it not fair to claim the child this one last time, since technically, he supported him most of last year? That brings me to my last question, the ex is also saying that since she and he were not married when the child was born, she has and has always had sole custody even though my boyfriend's name is on the birth certificate as the biological father. Which he, without a doubt is. Is this also correct? That she has sole custody? She's also claiming that since she does have 'sole custody' this is the reason she can claim the child and that my boyfriend cannot. I truly have no idea how these things work, so some insight on the subject would be of great help indeed. Thanking you in advance.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Hello break:

The deduction can't be tossed around like a football. The IRS determines who gets to deduct the child, not the mother, or the father. According to the IRS rules, the parent who contributed more than 50% of the support of the child is entitled to the deduction.

If that's your boyfriend, then he should take it. If not, then he shouldn't. If he takes it, and she does too, the IRS will come a calling. Who cares? As long as your boyfriend can document his claim, he's cool. The ex wife, on the other hand, isn't.

excon

Feb 4, 2007, 10:39 AM
    My only question is, how does he go about documenting his claim? Cause his son definitely lived with him most of the year and he supported him this entire time. How does he prove this over the ex who's trying to unrightfully claim him as well?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Hello again, break:

Whether the ex is unrightfully claiming him or not, is between her and the IRS. It's really got nothing to do with your boyfriend. Just like his deduction has NOTHING to do with her. And, it makes no sense to argue with the ex about this. I'm sure there are plenty of things they CAN argue about that'll make a difference. This won't.

He's got cancelled checks, and other receipts showing rent and groceries and stuff. Plus, he can, if necessary, get affidavits from those who can swear that his son did live with him during that period.

Relax...

excon

Feb 4, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Hey thanks excon.
    He just wants to do what's right and what's fair. She's been making every step very difficult for him. He's going to look into ways to prove his claim so he can make sure it is all legit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming biological child on taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently living with my boyfriend and I am almost 3 months pregnant. He and I are planning to get married soon after our child is born. He already has another child, a two year old with his ex, whom he was with for five years. He has just recently established child support payments and they...

Claiming son on taxes if he has a child [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My 20 year old has been living with me since mid-2006. He is going to college and I will be claiming him on my taxes as I am now supporting him. He has a child (he is not married, nor lives with his child). Can I legally claim him. He is not going to file for 2006. Thanks, aroles

Claiming child [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I think my ex is claiming our daughter on his taxes. I know he can not do this, so how do I handle it? My income is tax exempt, so I don't have to file taxes. Is there a number I can call to see if he is or what can I do? :confused: After not wanting to give me a penny for years he came up...

Claiming a child on taxes [ 11 Answers ]

My Husband and I have one son together and he has one that he pays child support for. We pay child support with no questions asked and have for all 5 years of his life. The thing is that we have him the exact amount of time his mother has him... One week on and one week off. My question is "Is...

How can I adopt a child (not my biological child) from my ex [ 2 Answers ]

When I met my ex, she has a 2 yrs old child. While we were married, the child start to think of me as his dad and I've kept that relationship even after our divorce. Now, we are divorced, but the child is with me and my ex and has never seen his biological father. My ex is feeling sick now, and...

View more questions Search