Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jin.Chan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 01:28 AM
    S1322 Corporation Act (Australia)
    Hi all,

I'm a beginner in Corporate law. I have a question about s1322. If there is defective notice, the meeting or any action taken in that meeting is not void merely because of a defect in notice of the meeting (i.e. Failure to give notice to a particular member). Thus, defective meeting may be cured by the general power under s1322. I don't understand what does it mean by 'cure' the defective notice? When I first read the act, I thought 'cure' the defective notice means the court declare the meeting is invalid but procedure irregularity is not the reason to do so at the same time.

Anyone, please help. Thanks in advance.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 1, 2011, 03:44 PM
    If you can give us a link to section 1322 I could double check, but since we more-or-less use the same language, I would assume that "cure" means to make it right. So, in this context, it would mean to do what is needed to make it as though the notice was valid.

One way to cure a defective notice such as this, say for example, notice of a meeting of a board of directors, would be for that member (director) who didn't get due notice to sign a waiver of notice of the meeting.
    Jin.Chan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 09:05 PM
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca2001172/s1322.html

Here it is ^^ Thanks xD
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 2, 2011, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin.Chan View Post
    ... I don't understand what does it mean by 'cure' the defective notice? ...
    Section 1322 seems to leave it up to the court to devise a way to "cure" things. It is purposely vague, so as to give the court as many options as possible. Subsection 4 (d), for example suggests several things a court could do:

"(d) an order extending the period for doing any act, matter or thing or instituting or taking any proceeding under this Act or in relation to a corporation (including an order extending a period where the period concerned ended before the application for the order was made) or abridging the period for doing such an act, matter or thing or instituting or taking such a proceeding;"

Say, for example, a shareholder wasn't given the proper notice of a vote to be taken at a meeting. The court might order a new vote, after notice, to be taken in a set time period. If the court finds that to do so would afford all concerned "substantial justice", that would make it possible for the action of the corporation to be upheld despite the procedural irregularity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would the Substitute Decisions Act or the Trustee's Act apply?(Ontario) [ 0 Answers ]

This is an estate dispute between two trustees. The "misappropriation of funds" in question occurred in 2000, when the two trustees had joint/several power of attorney of the deceased. At that time, the one trustee knew of the possible misappropriation but chose to not take any action in the...

Moon Corporation and Star Corporation are in the same line of business and both were [ 2 Answers ]

Moon Corporation and Star Corporation are in the same line of business and both were recently organized, so it may be assumed that the recorded costs for assets are close to current market values. The balance sheets for the two companies are as follows at July 31, 2009: MOON CORPORATION Balance...

How would I(ceo of a corporation) institutionalize ethics in the corporation. [ 2 Answers ]

Please send the answer as soon as possible. The question is - if I am a chief executive officer of a large corporation , how would I institutionalize ethics in the corporation?

View more questions Search