Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terry510 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Plumbling problems or hot water heater
    When I turn my hot water faucets on I have no water coming in at all, but I have hot water in the hot water tank.
    terry510 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Plumbing problems
    Wondering why I have no water entering my hot water tank
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2007, 10:53 AM
    If I had to guess I would say that you haven't maintained your heater by flushing on a regular schedule and the minerals built up in the heater has got into your hot water pipes and is now clogging the hot water iunlets of your faucets. You're going to hafta open up each faucetand clear the hot water inlet. Then before you button up the faucet turn on the hot water supply to flush it out. Repeat this on each faucet that's affected. Let me show you how to maintain your heater. For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by terry510
    wondering why i have no water entering my hot water tank
    I answered your first question before I knew you didn't have any cold water entering your heater. No wonder you have no hot water in any of your faucets. Sounds like a frozen pipe to me. Disregard my earlier post and check the cold water pipe. You might want to shut the power off to the heater until you locate the problem.. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Water heater not keeping water hot [ 5 Answers ]

My 3-4 year old gas water heater is not keeping the water hot, only warm, when no hot water has been used during the day. Once some hot/warm water has been used I have a lot of 140 degree water. Is there somethng simple that need to be adjusted?

Gas Hot Water Heater runs out of water [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Gas Hot Water Heater in my house 50 gallon I believe. It runs out of water after about 5 minutes and the water does not seem as hot as it should be (It's turned to 3 on a max scale of 4 on the heater). The pilot light is on. Can you tell me what might cause the hot water to...

Help with Hot Water Heater [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I need some help with a hot water heater problem. Our house is 2 years old. We have a 60 gallon 220V hot water heater. 8/2 Wire is run to the tank of course with a bare copper ground. It had a 20 amp double pole breaker on it and after the first year my wife somehow noticed the breaker was...

Hot water heater [ 1 Answers ]

My husband tried to turn down the heat on the hot water heater and now we have no hot water. I think he turned off the pilot. I tried to lite it today, but I can find where to do it. I know to turn it to pilot and hold the red button and lite. But I am not sure where the pilot is, I removed the...

View more questions Search