Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woodpens Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2011, 12:07 PM
    What the difference vacuum relief valve/ vacuum breaker for water heater?
    What is the difference between vacuum relief valve and a vacuum breaker valve
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 30, 2011, 01:53 PM
    Hi Woodpens...

A vacuum relief valve, such as the watts valve below (see image with black top hat), is used to prevent vacuum or backflow conditions in a water heater. A vacuum breaker (see image) is primarily used on outside water faucets... also used to prevent backflow conditions. These are not interchangeable.

The other relief device on a water heater is a TEMPERATURE AND PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE (see other image). This relief valve is a safety device that operates to protect the water heater from experiencing dangerous fluctuations in temperature or pressures. For example, if a water heater gas valve failed to shut off it would cause the water to overheat and expand. The T&P relief valve would discharge the water to a safe place (the floor or a drain) and help prevent an explosion of the water heating vessel.

To see what can happens when a T&P relief valve malfunctions click on Water Heater Blast!.

More questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I install a vacuum relief valve on a cold water supply line for my H2O tank? [ 13 Answers ]

In order to gain occupancy, an inspector informed me that I need to install a vacuum relief valve on the cold water supply line for my hot water tank. I purchased a vacuum relief valve and the installation instructions that came with it states that it should be installed on a horizontal line above...

Vacuum relief valve leaking [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, We just had a new Rheem electric hot water heater installed by a professional plumber. Original vacuum relief is still on. NEVER had any problems. We just seviced our water softer. As we turned the water off and bled the water line, we heard water gurgling in the hot water heater, which has...

How vacuum is maintained in a vacuum circuit breaker [ 0 Answers ]

In industries we use vacuum circuit breaker to disconnect supply in a faulty condition. But how vacuum is maintained for a long term use of circuit breaker?

Vacuum breaker [ 2 Answers ]

I know there is a way to plumb a dishwasher in without having a vacuum breaker on your sink but I have forgotten how. Can someone help me?

Vacuum breaker [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to install my dishwasher without a vacuum breaker on my sink faucet. I have a garbage disposal. I understand that I can install the dishwasher through the garbage disposal without a vacuum breaker but I do not know how. Can you help ?

View more questions Search