Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progtick Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2011, 06:14 AM
    Cost basis for inherited land back in India
    My relative inherited land back in India before 1980. India uses 1 April, 1981 as the cut-off date to figure out fair market value for inheritances that go way back in time. Can he use the same date for filing american tax? If not, is there any other cut-off date available? Is he free to choose his own date by any chance?

He also constructed an office on the land. However, he doesn't have any receipts for it. How would he prove construction cost?

Could you also shed some light on how indexing would work in this scenario?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 30, 2011, 06:30 AM
    For US tax purposes his cost basis is the fair market value of the land as of the date of death of the person he inherited it from - there is no other cut off date. He then adds the costs for capital improvements he's made over the years. If he doesn't have receipts he should attempt to reconstruct what he paid in order to come up with a reasonable cost basis, backed up with photos, canceled checks, and anything else that can help verify his numbers.
    Nadel Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Sep 30, 2011, 12:10 PM
    Indexing is irrelevant for US capital gains.

One more point to remember is that all items (cost basis, improvements etc.) have to be denominated in $$ using the exchange rate at that time. Even if they were not directly converted from dollars.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost basis for inherited house [ 1 Answers ]

My brother, sister and I quick claimed my elderly fathers home back 10 years ago. When he passes away what are the tax implications for us. We did not have the house apprised back then.

Finding basis for inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle died in 2006 and the family house was just sold in 2008. There was no estate because his part of the house was in an irrevocable trust that went to the rest of the family. How can I find the basis for members of the family who inherited various fractions of it on dates ranging from 1963...

Cost basis for inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My sister & I inherited real estate from our mother. Subsequently, she sold me her portion. I sold the property last year and am not sure what to use as the basis. Do I use the appraised value as of the date I sold or the amount I paid for her portion? For example, the property was worth...

Basis and Expenses on Inherited Property Sale [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and brother-in-law inherited their father's home upon his death 6 months ago. Brother-in-law wants to purchase my wife's share. Brother-in-law is also executor. How do we establish basis, FMV and report sale between siblings of inherited real estate? The plan at the moment is to get...

Basis in inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited rental real estate property from an uncle that past away 7 years ago. I just now received it because his will gave a life estate to his wife for the income from the property during her life. He owned the property as separate property. She has now passed away and I have received the...

View more questions Search