Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sariberry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2011, 05:47 AM
    6yo female cat... Lethargic for almost a week
    Hi, I have a 6yo female cat who is a bit overweight. For several days her behavior has been out of the ordinary. She has been extremely lethargic. She is eating and drinking (I think), but not what she usually does. She is going to the bathroom (I think), but not very often. She purrs lightly when I pet her, and allows me to pick her up but growls a bit. I don't feel that her stomach is tight or that she is dehydrated. She will come when I call her to give her a treat. I have a 3mo kitten that she usually plays with constantly and doesn't want anything to do with him now. The kitten doesn't seem to be worried about her. I noticed this change after I brought the kitten home from the vet's after his first round of shots and being dewormed. The 6yo didn't have worms.

I am concerned that she is not improving, but at the same time since she is eating/drinking/going to bathroom a bit, maybe I am overreacting? My mother suggests it's the change in the weather. I will do anything for my cat, but if I don't absolutely have to take her to vet I would prefer not to. It's traumatic for her and at this moment I'm a bit strapped for cash. But I will do what needs to be done. Any advice? It's greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sarah
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 3, 2011, 02:35 PM
    Lethargic behaviour is typically a symptom of something else being wrong... The problem is that we don't know if it's something like depression (since the new kitten is probably getting more attention) or something more serious like kidney failure.

Ideally you should take your cat to a vet. If there is a specific medical reason, you'll be able to find out pretty quickly and can act accordingly.

I tend to over-react with my cat too, and I find the cost of a vet visit a cheap price to pay for peace of mind.
    sariberry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 02:43 PM
    Well... I don't know if it was a CHEAP price to pay for peace of mind, but I did take her in. Twice in the past 3 days... there's $400 I'll never see again. Basically, they couldn't tell me what was really wrong with her. Didn't know if it was an infection or a virus. They gave her some fluids and antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory med to try and bring down her 105 temp. I have seen immediate results and it looks like she's starting to get better, so I'm hopeful. But the vet was talking about hospitalizing her, etc... and I almost felt like the dr was a car salesman trying to sell me on the latest and greatest rather than the simple stuff that worked anyway.

In any case, thanks for your feedback and I think we're on the road to recovery. Scary week though. ;)
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 3, 2011, 02:48 PM
    I'm glad to hear she is better.

I know it can feel like you wasted money at the vet, but I don't think you did. You paid to find out she doesn't have a major medical issue, and is going to be better soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lethargic Cat [ 5 Answers ]

My 12-year-old cat has become very lethargic in the last week. Eating is down but hasn't stopped. She still uses the litter box. She sleeps much more and seems to have lost all interest in initiating interraction. Visibly she seems the same.

Lethargic 2 and a half week shih tzu puppy [ 1 Answers ]

This puppy is half the size of her sister and was previously very active and loud, but now has stopped feeding and is breathing funny. She is just laying on her side and is not even trying to feed. What could be wrong?

Very lethargic cat [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 year old cat has been very lethargic today. I haven't seen him eat nor drink and I'm very worried. He's had urinary problems in the past and I'm scared that it has come back. Also, his belly looks a little bloated. I am going to bring him to the vet but I can't until Friday morning, is there...

Recent Lethargic Twelve Year Old Female Cat [ 1 Answers ]

Very active... to sleeping all day and night, eating very little and not using the litter box at all. Have NEVER experienced this with any cat. I guess that a visit to the vet is very necessary. *sigh* :confused:

View more questions Search