Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajeshks117 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Tax return. I am on H1B and My wife in India
    Hi,

I am in USA for the full tax year 2006. My wife is in India and can't come here before April 15 which is the last day of filing Federal tax return(May be she will not join me in another 7-8 months).

What will be the status of my tax return?

What is the process to claim the tax benefit for my wife?

I heard that even though she is in india I can claim the tax benefit. Please help me what should I do.. I don't have her tax id number as she never came to USA.

Thanks,
    Rajesh
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Rajesh:

Download and fill out Form W-7 from IRS Taxes: Tax Preparation & E-File Information at IRS.com. Once filled out, you need to send the form and your completed tax return (Married Filing Jointly, with wife's name under yours and SSN area BLANK) to India for her to sign both W-7 and the tax return. She needs to get her passport photocopied and the photocopied certified as a true copy. The certifie true copy is stapled to the W-7, and both documents plus the tax return is mailed from India to the address in the W-7 instructions. The IRS issues the ITIN, inserts I in the blank SSN area, and processes the return.

If she has Indian income, filing Married Filing Jointly makes that income subject to U.S. taxes.

Feb 4, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Photocopied certified as a true copy... what does it mean? Which authority can certify the passport as true copy?

Which tax form I have to fill..?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 09:04 AM
    The issuing agency can certify it as a true copy.

If she was in the U.S. should could have it notarized.

Use Form 1040EZ, 1040A or 1040.

Feb 5, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Hi Once again! Can any other passport office can certify the photocopy of passport of the issuing passport office has to certify.

Suppose if it will take time to get all the relevant document on time then what is the best way to go for filing tax. Can a profession will help me.

Do u work as a profession and help me in this regard?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Yes, I can help you in this regard.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Feb 5, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Please ans my concern.

Suppose if it will take time to get all the relevant document on time then what is the best way to go for filing tax.

Also.. what is the address in "Applicant mailing address" of the form W-7... As my wife is in India and I am in USA... so if we will give the India address the ITIN will go to India.. Which address is more appropriate to use?
    debjit_g Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    The issuing agency can certify it as a true copy.

If she was in the U.S., should could have it notarized.

Use Form 1040EZ, 1040A or 1040.
    Can a notarized copy from India work with W-7 ? Also, is "certify it as a true copy" and "attesting a photocopy" the same thing ? I am in the same situation and my wife recently went to the passport office to get it attested - the office just refused to attest it and said that they can't do it since they only have issued it.

Thanks in advance.

~deb
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2007, 11:46 PM
    Deb:

That's unusual. The consulate offices should be able to certify it as a true copy.
    debjit_g Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 11:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    deb:

That's unusual. The consulate offices should be able to certify it as a true copy.
    Thanks ATE. Do u mean the US consulate office in India ? If so, then do I need to make an appointment ?

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Yes, the U.S. consulate office in India will certify your passport photocopy when you tell them it is for a U.S. tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

On H1 Married and wife in india + filing tax returns... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US - California from Oct 30 2005 to Dec 25 2005. For this period, I have W2 from my empoloyer. Now again back in US - Iowa in Feb 10, 2006 and will be here for another 6months. I am married, no children and my wife is in India and will be joining me only in May or June 2006. I got...

Tax Return NY State J1 to H1B. Resident or not? [ 1 Answers ]

In 2005 I worked for the same company. As an intern (J1) from January 1st 2005 to June the 15th As an Employee (H1B) from November 6th to December 31st 2005 I was back in France between September 9th to November 6th to get my H1B Visa. Should I file my tax as a resident or an Non...

Tax return for "married" with wife on H4 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in New Jersey since September 2004. So in the calendar year of 2005 I have been a resident of New Jersey. I am on H1 Visa. My wife Came to US in May 2005 on H4 Visa. I have following questions on filing tax return for 2005: 1. Am I a resident alien? Is my wife a ...

F1 To H1B tax return filing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know what form should I use to file my returns? Here is the information on my status. I came in USA in August 2001 on a student visa. I got my OPT in Jan 2004. And I joined a consulting firm and started earning from May 2004. Meanwhile my status was changed from F1 to...

View more questions Search