Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GSAnonymous Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 12:33 PM
    My girlfriend won't tell her ex that she's in a relationship
    I hesitated putting this out there because I should be strong enough to make a decision, but here I go. My girlfriend and I have been dating for a little over two years. She has been separated from her husband for 3 years. He still loves her and wants to be with her. She denied it, but I read text messages on her phone from him stating that he misses and loves her. He recently sent her a birthday card stating that he's happied he married her and loves and misses her. I still haven't seen her do it in return, but it doesn't mattter. She got upset because I went through her stuff and I admit it was wrong. However, she's lied many times and for some reason, I felt like going through her things. I know they say if you dig deep enough, you will always find something, but I don't expect to find messages or cards like this.

She states that she did him wrong, feels bad for him and doesn't want to hurt his feelings. She doesn't want to add salt to the wound. I told her that I don't care about his feelings. If you are just friends as you state, there's no reason why he shouldn't know that you're in a relationship. He doesn't need to know the details, but he should know she's with me. She states she's in the process of getting divorced and that should be enough for him, but he told her even if they divorce, they can re-marry and start fresh. She won't even tell her father we live together because she's afraid he will tell her ex.

She says that she loves me and is only with me. She comes home to me every day and that should be enough. I don't know about anyone else reading this, but it truly bothers me to see another man tell someone I love that he loves and misses her; three years after they split up.

Am I taking this too personal?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 02:50 PM
    They were married at one time, and that doesn't just go away. I would think that instead of jealousy, an atmosphere of trust would be enough that she wouldn't have to hide anything.

That's what I would have told her from the beginning, and never gave it a second thought, because this was a telling statement,

She has been separated from her husband for 3 years. WHY NO DIVORCE? He still loves her and wants to be with her. She denied it, but I read text messages on her phone from him stating that he misses and loves her. He recently sent her a birthday card stating that he's happied he married her and loves and misses her. I still haven't seen her do it in return, but it doesn't matter. YES IT DOES, SHE COMES HOME TO YOU, NOT HIM

I have to say though that giving your heart to a person who has a foot in, and a foot out of marriage was not that wise to my way of thinking, as anybody that just left a long relationship, is not a great bet for a partner anyway. Dating casually, maybe, and from a safe emotional distance, but exclusive commitment? Oh hell no!

That's what you have here, a mess, that needs clearing up with some honest communications, NOT snooping. He, the (EX) husband, is not the problem, the communications between you is. The only way for a couple to define the boundaries of good behavior, is to honestly discuss things.

Do you live together? I can't imagine living with some one I was just dating, hope your not, and if you have no understanding, or commitment between you, other than dating, you have no business, in her business.

Certainly not snooping. That in itself shows a rather insecure relationship. I have never thought of snooping, because its easier just to get rid of someone you don't believe in the first place.
    GSAnonymous Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 03:03 PM
    She never divorced him because she uses his health benefits. Yes, we have been living together for over a year now. We have both been married twice and are in no rush to re-marry.

I don't complain that she wants to be his friend. I'm more secure than that because I'm divorced and know what it's like to have an ex. I have dated in the past and had no problem if they remained friends with their exes. As long as there aren't any boundaries crossed. There have been occasions where I have been on the phone with my ex and after I get off, I get an ear full from my girlfriend.

Either way, I'm done with the snooping, but I do believe she should let her ex know that she's in a relationship. It's not fair for me to see someone tell her he loves and misses her and it's not fair to him because he most likely thinks she's available.

Thanks for you advice. It's definitely well received.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 04:22 PM
    I hope you can talk honestly, and resolve your issues to the benefit of you both.
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2011, 06:33 PM
    You need to stop looking for stuff if you can't handle it. Why does it matter if someone is saying those things to your lady, the important thing is what SHE is doing, whatever he does is none of your business. Enjoy your relationship, focus your time on making it better, not on childish hide and seek games with your girlfriend. And if she doesn't want to tell anyone is because (as she sold you), not stir any problems, she is still with YOU, and like you said... that is what MATTERS!
    Traanquell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2012, 08:27 AM
    Bad advice indeed, do not listen to that. This must be your ole lady best friend or something. Because once you are with somebody and some conflict comes between the two, how will you be able to become that foundation that she stands on. This is a very sticky situation and how ex boyfriends, husbands, or whatever think that they can control other folks relationships. Believe me, if she is hiding you from the world then what will become once the ex decides to come back?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend says she's not sure she's in love after 6 months ? [ 8 Answers ]

We've been dating for 6 months now and things have been great I the guy came out after 3 months and said I love you... we've been saying it back and forth sense and it hasn't been a big deal or anything.. now the other night she comes out and says I'm not sure I love you the same way you do me and...

Ex girlfriend tells me she's not with anyone but doenst know if she's ready to hang out? Why? [ 8 Answers ]

Multiple threads merged, please keep all questions regarding the same issue in the same thread My ex & I broke up, we just ran into each other for the first time in 6 months. She says she still loves me & made a point to tell me she wasn't with anyone - I still love her, I acted cool like I...

What is my girlfriend/ex girlfriend thinking? Will she realize what she's lost? [ 44 Answers ]

All right, before I start let me just say that I have been dating this girl for 3 years, ever since we graduated from high school. Background info: We met in high school, I really never knew her up until my senior year. We're both the same age and she sat beside me in class because she taught I...

Me and my girlfriend of 3 years ended are relationship now she's texting me [ 2 Answers ]

Hi well I was with my girlf for 3yrz I was 17 and she was 15.. Iam now 20 going on 21 and she turned 19.. She works away I when we split up before for abit we just enjoyed are selfs going out drinking an partyin as we were over 18years old when then did get back together but while me split we did...

View more questions Search