Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foradeleh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 12:04 PM
    Bathtub leaks only when water is running out of tub spout not when shower is running
    Bathtub on 2nd floor is leaking to unfinished basement ceiling below. It only leaks however when the water (both hot and cold) is running out of the tub spout. It does not leak once the shower is turned on--nor does the tub leak when it's draining. Can anyone give a best guess exactly where the leak is occurring. I know to fix the leak we will need to remove bath tiles and get into the wall. But once we have access, what would the repair involve?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 12:14 PM
    What type of diverter is on this faucet to control the shower, that's where I think your leak will be found.
    foradeleh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 12:56 PM
    Hi ballengerb1,

Thanks for your reply. It's a three handle shower diverter in which you turn the middle handle to switch the water between spout and shower. I'll have a look online to see what repairing the shower diverter entails (hopefully won't have to open the wall), but I'm wondering if there is another place where the leak could occur? Could it be the spout itself?

Thanks again.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 02:46 PM
    Yes it could be the spout or the pipe the spout mounts on. Most repairs can be done without opening the wall but replacement is another story.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 29, 2011, 02:51 PM
    Where does the spout leak from? Out theend of the spout or next to the wall? Is it a chrome over brass or chrome finish over plastic? The diverter on your valve (see image) is a simple one. Replace the washers and check 5the seat for nicks and rough spouts.
    Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does water still come out of tub spout why shower is running and how do I fix it [ 2 Answers ]

Why does water still come out of tub spout while shower is running and how do I fix it

Bathtub leaks only when tub spout running [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My upstairs bathroon is leaking onto the ceiling of another bathroom in a finished basement. I removed the drop ceiling and I'm able to see the tub and the pipes from the downstairs bathroom and it definitely is only leaking when the tub faucet is running. Once I change the diverter to...

How do you stop the water from running from the spout when I turn on the shower? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3 stem shower (hot diverter and cold) please help.

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

View more questions Search