Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andyslostad Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Why is the 1099 Tax rate so high?
    I probably should be directing this question to my member of Congress (actually, I did write my Congressman, and if I get an answer, I'll post it up here... ), but...

Is there any particular reason why the Feds have decided that 1099-Misc income should be taxed at a rate around 37.7%... or am I doing something wrong with my Schedule C? And no, my normal income tax rate is nowhere NEAR 37.7%. :mad: (Don't I wish I made that much money- so much for helping out small business owners!)

Obviously this isn't incredibly time sensitive - I would just like some information... if anyone knows.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 08:42 AM
    You have included in your 1099 taxes yourself employment taxes which is on a paycheck your social security taxes. In your paycheck you pay 7.5 percent social security tax and the company matches it with another 7.5 percent that you don't see them paying.

So for your 1099 income you have to pay that entire 15 percent on top of your regular income tax earnings. So the tax rate is not really higher but you are having to pay not only income tax but also self employment tax for the full amount.

Feb 4, 2007, 08:47 AM
    <sarcasm mode = on>

Oh, that's just wonderful... super!

<sarcasm mode = off>

But seriously, thanks for taking the time to answer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Fr Chuck has it right!

Welcome to the wonderful world of U.S. taxes!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Yes most people going into the wonderful world of self employment see that large check coming in and have no idea that about 40 percent of it needs to be put back for taxes.

I have a idependent contactor that worked for me about 1/2 of this year who is now in shock mode also.

And you are welcome, what people who are used to working for someone else, companies pay unemployment taxes on the employee the self employed does not even have umemployment rights, the company pays 1/2 of the social security tax, a self employed person has to pay it thierself in full. And of course a self employed person does not have a company to pay a portion of their health insurance and if they are ill, may not even get health insurance.

The system is not equal for a self employed person
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Fr. Chuck:

All that you say is true. However, if you know this going in, you can negotiate a higher "wage" to compensate.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Feb 4, 2007, 01:10 PM
    On the other hand, is anyone remembering that self-employed folks get to deduct 1/2 of themselves employment tax when determining their income tax? The self employed may also deduct expenses directly against income as opposed to an employee who may take work related deductions in excess of 2% of AGI.

So it is not all bad for the self employed.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 01:25 PM
    This is true. There are also the various retirement programs (SEP, SIMPLE, etc.) that self-employed people can use and often do not.

Someone who manages their money and works with a competent tax pro can mitigate these taxes rather well. It takes time and hard work, but it CAN be done!

Feb 10, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    This is true. There are also the various retirement programs (SEP, SIMPLE, etc.) that self-employed people can use and often do not.

Someone who manages their money and works with a competent tax pro can mitigate these taxes rather well. It takes time and hard work, but it CAN be done!
    I know a financial adviser through my main job. I'll make sure to ask him about them. Thanks for the tip - though we're talking about extra-curricular income of usually under $3000 annually. Thus far, I've managed to shave a few dollars off with business related deductions - generally, I do write off any related materials (in my case, audio equipment) that I use in my self-employment off my Schedule C income.

It's almost like I need to spend any extra money I get in from it on the business so I operate at either "break even" or only a slight profit to get out from under my tax obligations... so, in a way, I'm supporting my technology habit with my side work. :D
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 11:18 PM
    Sounds like a plan to me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax rate on sale of home [ 3 Answers ]

If I sell a my home within two years of purchase and can't use the exclusion clause, and if I am in the minimum tax bracket, what will be the capital gains tax rate charge for sale of my home? Thanks

1099 Tax [ 2 Answers ]

This will be my 1st year filing a 1099MISC. I have always in the past filed a W-2 with no problem. This year is different. My question is will I receive a refund from a 1099? I have two depens. :eek:

Determining 1099 tax rate [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can someone guide me in determining what taxes I will be paying on a non-qualified dividend in 2006 with a 1099? I live in NY, my primary employment income is $110k, and the 1099 will be for $10k in dividends. Thanks.

OPT Tax rate in New york city [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am an Indian student on OPT about to start work in a non profit organisation. I wanted to know how much is the OPT tax in New York? My OPT ends on July 19,2006. My income will be around 30-35k during this year.

1099 Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am working as a software engineer on W2 base. Also, I am doing a second job that is 1099 Misc basis. Last year on 1099, I paid a huge tax rate like 40%. So my question is how can I reduce the tax rate on second job. My friends advaced me to start a new company. Is it necessary to start a...

View more questions Search