Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SuperMom313 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 08:51 PM
    If you are an exempt employee that is currently out of paid time. Can you be docked
    For days taken off due to illness. Also if you have taken FMLA so that the company won't retaliate by firing for missed days.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 07:10 AM
    Yes you can be docked if you have used all your sick leave. We do not know enough about your company or your situation to answer the FMLA question. Can you tell us more?

Sep 29, 2011, 10:28 AM
    Thanks for responding. I'm a Senior accountant for a small firm. Roughly about 60 employees. I was experiencing dizziness and blackouts. So I took off Monday for it and returned back for three days and had another episode that Friday so I took off again. After taking Monday off, I had exhausted the remaining PTO. I went to the doctor and he was quite concern since my blood pressure was 160/110. I immediately requested FMLA paperwork so I can have job protection. We are in an at will state and this employer have used this as a crutch in the past with firing other employees. My doctor have now ordered me off, and I do have STD coverage but there's a 7day waiting period. So for that seven day waiting period as an exempt employee can my employer dock me for the Friday and the following week? My friend is an exempt employee for the City of Detroit and she told me if they do dock you while out for sickness you are no longer an exempt employee for that week and now become eligible for OT for the days that I was there and worked overtime. I've taken off for sick leave so this is all new. THanks.

Sep 29, 2011, 10:29 AM
    Sorry meant to say I have not been out on sick leave before.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 12:12 PM
    I am not so sure your situation would qualify you for FMLA and, even if it did, FMLA does not guarantee pay. What is your company's sick leave policy for a person in your position? I think your friend is over simplifying how you can move from exempt ot non-exempt status. Did you work more than 40 hours in that week?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2011, 01:57 PM
    FMLA doesn't take effect until after and STD and LTD benefits are done.

If you have exhausted your paid time off you can be docked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary worker docked for missed time, but not paid overtime [ 5 Answers ]

We just had a corporate company take over the dental office I work for. I was given the position of manager with a salary. They gave me an hourly wage increase to adjust for the overtime and bonus we were losing. I have over 30 hours of overtime not paid in the past 4 weeks. When I took 2 days...

If a salaried employee does not have enough vacation time, can his pay be docked? [ 1 Answers ]

A salaried employee wishes to take time off (out of the office whole days). However, the employee has not accrued enough vacation time to cover the days out of the office. Because the employee is salaried, does the employer have the right to dock their pay for the time off that was not able to be...

Can a salaried employee be required to make up time they were docked for? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee. Last week I was out for 2 days dealing with kidney stones. I didn't have any accrued time to use because I used it all when I was in the hospitalized in January for the same thing. My check for the week was docked for the 2 days that I missed. Upon my return my boss told...

If I am a fulltime exempt employee do I need to submit a time sheet? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a full time exempt employee who has been asked to submit time sheets. Is this legal? And further more I am told to report only the hours they want me to report, they say that no overtime or anything over 8 hours a day should be reflected on the sheet however I am required to work for more than...

Should an exempt salaried employee be docked for leaving early [ 1 Answers ]

I am an exempt salaried employee who works 40 hours a week 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months I work anywhere from 70 to 100 hrs a week. About a month ago I left about 2 hrs early, and then last week about 1 1/2 hrs early. Now they are telling me that I have to take that off my monthly...

View more questions Search