Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noor264 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 03:15 PM
    Modelling with functions
    The percent of carbon-14 that remains in a specimen after various numbers of years is shown below.
    Year5730=50% year11460=25% year17190=12.5% year22920= 6.25% year28650=3.125% year 34380=1.5625%
    How can you use the function P(t)=100(0.5)^t/5730 to model this situation and determine the age of a natural specimen?
    A.What percent of carbon is remaining for t =(0)?
    B.Draw a graph of the function P(t) = 100(0.5)^t/5730, using the given
    Table of values.
    C.What is a reasonable domain for P(t)? What is a reasonable range?
    D.Determine the approximate age of a specimen, given that P(t)= 70.
    E.Draw the graph of the inverse function.
    F.What information does the inverse function provide?
    G.What are the domain and range of the inverse function?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2011, 11:32 PM
    A. What do you think you should do to get the percent of carbon for t = 0? Did you answer the first question? This would tell you how to answer this question.

B. Have you drawn the graph?

C. The domain is the horizontal 'bracket' of the graph, where it starts and where it stops. It includes the word reasonable because this equation actually never stops. What happens is that you will have to choose a point where there is so little left that you can call it to end there.

Range is the vertical 'bracket' of the graph. Use the same concept as for the domain.

D. Put P(t) = 70 in the function and solve for t.

E. Do you know the relationship between a function and its inverse?

F. That is for you to infer. There is not absolute correct answer, as long as you support it with logical reasons.

G. If you did C well, you should be able to do that well as well.

Sep 29, 2011, 03:08 PM
    I did A,B and C but I am stuck on D. Could you please help me ?
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2011, 01:10 AM
    Okay, what did you get for A and C?

For D, you are asked to find the age of the specimen. The age of the specimen is given by t, right?

And you are given P(t) = 70

You have an equation equivalent to P(t), right? Use that, you will get an equation in terms of t.

Oct 2, 2011, 01:46 PM
    A) is 100%
    C) domain is greater than zero. The Range is greater than zero and smaller than or equal to 100.
    D) age of specimen is 2948.5 is it correct?

Is this the inverse function -5730log^x/100 ?
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2011, 10:53 PM
    A) Correct.

C) The keyword in the question is 'reasonable'. From a math perspective, your answer is correct, but from a practical objective, you have to arbitrarily set an 'end point'. From my side, I would say that the domain is between t = 0 and t = 40110, where the percentage of carbon remaining is less than 1%.

And the range would then be between P(t) = 100% and P(t) =0.78%

ie: and

D) Let's see.

P(t) = 70

Right! :)

Not quite yet, you missed the 0.5 part. Using those properties:

If , then

And

You should end up with:

You have to make t the subject of formula, then substitute the t by P(t) and vice versa.

I guess you can post the answer for the last part now? :)

Oct 3, 2011, 02:08 PM
    For the inverse graph will the x-axis be the carbon% and the y axis the years?
    The inverse function indicates the number of years that have passed on the specimen providing the percentage of carbon 14 is known. Am I right?
    G) Switch the domain and range together?

Thank you so much :)
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2011, 12:42 AM
    F. You're right in some way, but I'm sure that the real answer that was being looked for has is worded another way:

The inverse function enables us to know the percentage of carbon 14 left, after a known number of years.

Always take the x-axis as the independent variable, that is the data that you know, the data that you have. Thus, using the years (that you have), you get the percentage.

The initial graph showed the opposite. Knowing the percentage of carbon 14 allowed us to know the age of the rock/substance.

:)

G. Exactly right! :D

Well done noor264 :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to solve trig functions applications for advanced functions? [ 2 Answers ]

A point on the ocean rises and falls as wave pass Suppose that a wave passes every 4 s, and the height of each wave from the crest to the trough in 0.5 m. a) how do we graph the height of the point relative to tis average height for a complete cycle, starting at the crest of a wave. And how do...

Modelling with scars [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I didn't know which topic to put this in :( But I'm building up a portfolio for glamour model, Im just turning 20 and my idols been katie price for ages, I've recently got breast implants, buttock implants, lip fuller, and a few other stuff , I've been getting stuff done since I was 17. I keep...

Data modelling homework [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, How would please help me doing my homework it's a bit long one but I think very basic one for the ones who know database modelling. I would be so happy if anyone could help!:) Please look at the attachments.. Thank you

THe pro's and con's of male modelling [ 6 Answers ]

Male modelling and the industry Hello Does anyone remember the name of the male model competition program that was on the BBC a couple of years back. How about any similar programs (for males?) I would like to hear from a male model who has had related success in the industry preferably in...

Modelling agency [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know ,how to startup a model agency And how to register on different client database ,so you know about auditions first hand.

View more questions Search