Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sami87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 01:38 AM
    Failure to return rental property
    About a year ago I lived in a different town than I do now. I had rented some books from the library. Well I moved to where I am now and just today they sent me a summons to come to court for failure to return rental property. I don't really understand about this. Its not like I stole them I just moved all of a sudden and didn't get a chance to go to the library. I live 200 miles away now. What should I do
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Excuse me? You rented these books under the agreement you would return them within a specific time frame. You didn't do that. Its EXACTLY like you stole them.

What you do know is contact the library, explain the circumstances, tell them you will be happy to send the books back and ask what else needs to be done to prevent going to court. Most likely you will have to pay the overdue charges (which may actually be more than the cost of the books). But that's YOUR problem since you screwed up by not returning the books.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Sorry but yes you stole the books, or broke what ever law that state has on it.

change the words books for car, I just rented the car from hertz and moved so I did not return it, I did not steal it.

At least in GA there are specific laws for this, same as with a tool rental or car rental place.

You were responsible to either return them, or pay their value to replace.
    So you do need to take this very serious, if you don't appear they will place a warrant for your arrest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental property rights [ 3 Answers ]

I have lived in the same apartment for over a year. When I moved in some of my lights didn't work and some of them also had wires hanging out. My landlord said he would have it fixed shortly for me. Well it still has not been done. Between that and the mold growing under the sink and around the...

Rental property Regi [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to get a few opinions regarding refinancing a rental property and the closing costs associated with it. I wanted to clarify what I read in the pub 527. What closing costs can you depreciate and capitalize over the life of the loan? I know that you can deduct points or loan...

Commercial Rental Property Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

If Your Commercial Property Deposit Is Not Refunded Within 30 Days Of Vacating The Premises What Is The Amount You Can Sue The Landlord For In Court? For Residential It Is Treble The Deposit What Is It For Commercial In Colorado?

Cheap Rental Property [ 6 Answers ]

Where is the best real estate market in the United States (IN,AZ,CA,NY,TX, NV, IA,MO etc.) interms of purchasing cheap rental (Duplex) property and renting the units, but at a purchase of under $50,000.00. Interesting in buying cheap property, but looking for rentals that already have tenats...

Failure to return rental property [ 3 Answers ]

My husband was on a Sleep Apnea machine in 2005. He has insurance with BC-BS and I had insurance with Cigna. After doing a sleep test the doctor decided that the machine was necessary for him. We paid a five hundred deductible to his insurance company before they brought the machine to our house....

View more questions Search