Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilmommy11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 12:05 AM
    Inherited a house with no mortgage Grandma made a will but Grandma owe IRS?
    Inherited a house with no mortgage but Grandma owe IRS?

Grandma Inherited a house 2 yrs ago and sold it after 1 yr ( She was told by the layer and real estate she did not have to pay taxes for selling the house due to it was inherited Layer took his cut on the full value of the house ) and moved closer to me where she bought a house Cash this tax yr she found out that she owes 80 thousand to the IRS
    Now my question is we just found out My grandmother has stage 4 cancer and is not doing good if she writes a will and leaves me the house which is paid for will I have to pay the IRs what happens to the house if she didn't pay the IRS before she dies
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2011, 03:36 AM
    What is the tax bill for? There is an estate tax exclusion up to 2 million. So, unless the value of the house or the estate she inherited was more than that, she should no owe any taxes on the inheritance.

When she sold the property, she was required to pay taxes on the gain over her cost basis which was the value of the property at the time the person she inherited from passed. But owing $80K sounds like a large amount. I would try to get the details of her tax bill.

But that doesn't really deal with your question. When Grandma passes, her estate will owe the IRS bill. So before you can inherit anything, the bill will be paid from the assets of the estate. If the more liquid assets don't cover the expenses of the estate, then the house may have to be sold to cover those expenses. But that also raises the question of the high tax bill. If she truly owes $80K, then the odds are there are assets to cover it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 28, 2011, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    What is the tax bill for? ...

When she sold the property, she was required to pay taxes on the gain over her cost basis which was the value of the property at the time the person she inherited from passed. But owing $80K sounds like a large amount. I would try to get the details of her tax bill. ...
    I quite agree. A $80 K appreciation in one year would be extraordinary. I would ask how the value of the house when she inherited it was determined. It could be that there was a mistake made in valuing it then.

If the lawyer received a "cut" on the sale of the house, and somehow gave her faulty tax advice, you might consider submitting a claim to the lawyer's malpractice insurance carrier.

Or it could be that the tax bill is for some other matter of which we are unaware. You need to talk to a professional until you get an answer you understand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a house that is in a trust be taken away if my wife's grandma [ 2 Answers ]

Can a house that is in a trust be taken away if my wife's grandma (who initiated the trust to her son, my wife's dad) is being sued due to non payment of accounts(I don't know the details.) The grandma put the house in a trust to her son, we are paying to live in this house, but have only a verbal...

My grandma owns a house and in 10 years paid no tax what can she do? [ 4 Answers ]

My grandma bought this hoyse 10 years ago my brother is in the will he has paid no tax in that 10 years he receives 240 a month she wants to put the house up for sale to pay this off the house is worth 6o grand and my dad owns 20grand once it is sold what will my grandma be left? Also she is on DLA...

Abandoned grandson left at grandma house [ 4 Answers ]

3 months ago my grandson mother bought my 2 year old grandson to our house. The boys father lives at home with us. We do not know where my grandsons mother is nor do we have any contact information for her in case of emergency. Any suggestions on if we can file abandonment charges on her. Even...

Owe taxes on money inherited from a reverse mortgage? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother and I had a joint bank account. The money in that account came solely from a reverse mortgage she had on her house. At the time of her death, there was about $54,000 in the account, and that money went directly to me because of the joint account status. We did not file probate, and we...

Buying house from grandma before she passes [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have considered approaching my grandma and inquiring about purchasing her house. We would like to have an arrangement in order before she passes so the in-laws do not give us a hard time, but we're not even sure if this is legal. We currently own a house, and she would continue...

View more questions Search