Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poohr13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 09:35 PM
    7 week old Great Dane Puppy Deaf?
    Hello all. We recently purchased a great dane puppy that we believe maybe deaf. I have been on line to see what we can do and have done all the test, like hitting 2 pots together behind her, snapping, calling her, rang bells behind her also and yet she does not seem to move away or even look to where the noise is coming from. I was wondering if anyone with a great dane puppy can tell me, their behavior at 7/8 weeks. Did they response to noise? Any help with this would be wonderful. Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Yes, as you are seeing, a puppy that fails to respond to out of sight noise, may be deaf. You should be in for shots before long, have the vet confirm it. Dogs cope well with problems. I know people with blind dogs. You can train a dog to respond to hand signals. Since I rely heavily on verbal praise, I would have trouble reorienting myself to train a deaf dog.

For normal puppy things, see the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Great dane [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a great dane and he is about 5 month old and wheighs 60 lb. I just want to know what I can expect on how big he is going to be in height and wheight? Thank James

My Great Dane doesn't like to Eat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a rather large problem with our pet Dane. He has no interest in any kind of food that dogs are meant to eat. He is now 20 months old and we have had nothing but problems with him over his lack of eating. He has never showen any interest in food other than cat food. But just...

Looking for a great dane stud... [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know of or have a male Dane in Arizona that would be interested in breeding. I found a lady in Iowa, but it's sooo far. We also tried a lady in tucson and my girl rejected him 2 heats ago. I already know why, so I don't need advice on that, I just need a nice male. And a puppy...

Great dane in heat [ 5 Answers ]

I have a female great dane that is just nine months old. She is my first female dog of any kind, and just went into heat for the first time starting yesterday. I was wondering how long it lasts and how often it happens. I bought her a doggie diaper and absorbent pads which she willingly wears in...

Is playing tug a war good to do with a great dane puppy [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondering about tug a war.I have heard both ways Yes and no.I know one thing for sure is that it would help us if playing tug a war is not a bad thing because it would help wear down my wife's monster puppy.I think. Thanks Doug

View more questions Search