Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loraljinks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Screeching noise in shower?
    Hi,

Our shower makes a horrible high pitch screeching noise every time it is turned on. It does not seem to matter if the water is hot or cold. How do I fix this.

Thank you,

Laurie
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Hi Laurie,

This is caused by something in the valve that's vibrating as the water rushes by. What type of valve do you have? One handle or two knobs? What's the brand name? How old? Back to you. Tom

Feb 4, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Hi,

I'm not sure what brand it is, my guess is Moen or Kohler. The only brand I can find is on the drain to the tub which is Kohler, but I think the handle to turn on the water is Moen.

It is a single round door knob style with <H - C> indicators at the top. In listening closely, the high pitch sound starts when you pull up the lever from running bath water to staring the shower water.

Laurie
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2007, 03:36 PM
    You have a Moen tub and shower valve. The water will have to be shut off and the cartridge removed. Check the inlet ports for a piece of mineral or a small object. Now turn the water back on to flush out the supplies. Reassemble and test. Do you wish to attempt the repair yourself? Do you need instructions on how to do it? Regards, Tom

Feb 5, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Hi,

Thank you, and yes, I do need instructions. I'm not very mechanical, so keep them simple!

:) Laurie
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Click on; Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1225 / 1200 Cartridge and follow directions for your faucet. Check the inlet ports of the cartridge for a piece of mineral or a small object.
    Before you button up the faucet turn the water back on to flush out the supplies. Reassemble and test. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud shower noise [ 4 Answers ]

When I pull the shower diverter in our bathroom it makes a very loud squealing sound. It only makes this sound on hot water settings... turning back to cold water stops the sound. It takes a about 5 seconds for the water to come out of the shower head and the squealing continues while hot water...

Shower - hot water comes out makes a noise and shuts off completely [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building and recently replaced my shower head with a new one that has a hose attached I noticed before and now that when I turn on the hot water it runs for a few second then makes a horrible noise - sort of like the wall will explode and then the hot water shuts completely...

Loud Noise From Shower Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, when I turned on my shower this morning it made a very loud noise from the pipes that vibrated everything & was very loud. It almost sounded like a motor it was so loud. It doesn't happen when I'm running water out of the bottom faucet, but when I pull the mixer button up for the water to...

Shower making high pitch whistling noise [ 4 Answers ]

My shower makes a high pitched whistling noise. This doesn't happen all of the time, and seems to be more pronounced when changing the temperature from hot to cold. It may come and go, or may make the noise during the duration of the shower. Any thoughts on what could cause this? Any help would...

Loud Knocking Noise when cold water side of shower is on [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy folks. When I turn my shower on, I have to turn the water all the way to hot, switch the shower lever, and then adjust to warm... otherwise I get a huge loud knocking sound from the basement. I went down to see if I could see pipes rattling or anything, but nothing. I turned on the faucet...

View more questions Search