Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2011, 04:29 AM
    45 degree cut how to measure for a picture frame
    I have a square box 30" long by 10" high. I want to add molding around the box. I have a miter saw
    The cuts 45 degree angles. But do I cut the pieces exactly 30" and 10" each. Both ends would be at a 45
    Will they join correctly like a picture frame, or will there be gaps where they come together?

How do I cut the molding?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2011, 04:41 AM
    I would draw it out. If they are true 45's, their should be no gap.
    1 Mitered cut will have the corner for another side, as you will be left with 2 45's?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 28, 2011, 06:22 PM
    First a square cannot have sides 30" by 10". That would be a rectangle.

Suggest that you first set the saw to 45 degree angle by cutting test material. That test material should be wider than the molding you will be using. The wider the material the more any error in the joint will show up. In other words if you are using 1" wide molding use 2 or 3" wide test material to set the angle of the saw. Cut four pieces and put them together to check angles.

It is just as important to have the parallel sides of equal length as it is to have the correct angle of cut. Set up stop blocks on you saw to make the lengths the same rather than rely on measuring and marking.

Finely, precut all the pieces. Cut one end of all the pieces. That is to say cut the left end of all the pieces at 45 degrees. Then rather than changing you saw settings, move the material to the other side and cut the other end. That way any error in the first cut will be off set by the same error in the opposite direction in second cut.

When cutting to final length, set the stop block a little long then sneak up on the final length.

Don't be easily discouraged. Cutting four perfectly mitered corners is not easy. The wider the molding the more difficult it is.
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2011, 03:11 AM
    The box is a air conditioner.Being irregular in size it is a rectangle rather than a square.
    The molding is 2". I did cut a prototype of a wider material in a preliminary test. Seems okay.. Affixing the molding to the stucco. I am using construction adhesive. Hope it holds.

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 03:35 AM
    Oh, thought you were building a jewelry box. If the stucco is firm the construction adhesive will hold with out problem. A cut nail in each piece to hold it until the adhesive cures won't hurt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Feel like I ruined a brides picture frame [ 3 Answers ]

I was at a co worker/friends wedding this weekend where the bride and groom had a picture frame to sign at the reception. I waited until the end of the night to sign it and had, had a few drinks. When I signed it the marker was broken and I feel like I wrote a huge, thick black "Congrats - from...

I been charged with second degree theft by deception but I'm been frame I don't know [ 4 Answers ]

I'm been charged 2 degree theft by deception I'm been frame no prios or any trouble with the law just with my lincesed parking ticket etc no dui no dwi nothing do I have a good chance to get probation

Picture frame wholesale suppliers to 1 shops [ 0 Answers ]

I have a small crafts shop, one of the things I do is compose pictures, therefore I am looking for supplers of cheep plastic picture frames, I use frames from the £1 shops nat the moment. So I amlooking for suppliers.

Trig degree measure [ 1 Answers ]

Rewrite the given angle in degree measure 3(pie)/2 HELP PLEASE!!

Handmade Picture Frame [ 15 Answers ]

What are some good methods for making a hand-made picture frame? This one is for a larger canvas that I painted. I want some ideas for putting a frame around it.

View more questions Search