Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jk147 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2011, 03:51 PM
    I really don't know what to do
    I'm not the one to share my thoughts like this, especially on the Internet for God's sake... but I really don't know what to do anymore.
    My parents are just... the hardest people to deal with. And I've been dealing with them for 16 years. They are the meanest people, the meanest.
    I can't trust them, to talk to them about real things like my feelings and my self-esteem... and they throw it back in my face. Everything I say.
    They are just so verbally abusive. They tell to go find someplace better to live... and when they push me so far that I pack my backpack and try to leave they threaten to call the police if I set one foot outside the house.
    They constantly tell me I look like a cheap hooker. I wear a little bit of makeup, a LITTLE bit, honestly, and they tell me how I look like a whore. And whenever we go out at school functions all they have to say is how embarrassed they are to be seen with me. When I ask people who I know will tell me the truth if I really was being that obnoxious (for all I know I really could be that annoying) and they tell me that I was just being me, bubbly and outgoing me.
    They just are too much. They are so negative and demanding. They take all my hard work and throw it back in my face. They take my personality and say that I 'hide behind it'. I'm just outgoing and they say that I'm fake.
    They hurt me so much, attacking me mentally over and over, that I really can't take it anymore. It's getting to the point where I seriously try to leave the house but they chase after me. They won't let me leave, even if a few minutes prier they are screaming at me to: go find someplace better to live.
    I don't know what to do. Should I leave? Or am I just being a crybaby and I should get over it, suck it up, and just live it out with them..
    hellopeople Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Sep 25, 2011, 05:56 PM
    Sounds like your in a really tough situation. I think the best thing a parent can do is accept their child for who they are unconditionally. This is the really really important bottom line for family life. I am very sorry that you are not accepted.
    I had an amazing relationship with my parents and still do. I am tremendously blessed in this way. Both of them had terrible relationships with their parents. They came out of that experience knowing what they didn't want, which helped them to create what they wanted.
    I think it comes down to creating your own emotional space, finding true family with friends or with your own family in the future. You may have some lonely times, but I can tell you that intimacy, family and loving space can be found. Best of luck to you darling.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
    Hello jk... I am so sorry you are going through what appears to be a very difficult time in your life.

I wonder, are you an only child? maybe your parents have difficulties that you are unaware of,which could be why they seem to be taking all their frustration out on you!

What ever their problems are, they should not be doing this.You say you work hard but they don't appreciate it,just throw it back in your face,have you asked them why they are doing this,or would they just shout you down if you did?Do you help around the house,chores ,maybe a bit of shopping what ever it may be,if you don't perhaps that maybe an angle you could use,offer to make a cup of tea/coffee now and then or perhaps tidy up,wash up etc... it might soften them toward you a little.

I don't understand why they would do this,if you are doing everything that is asked of you.jk,you really need to talk to somebody about this,have you a Grandma or Auntie,or any relative at all that you get along with that you could confide in,if only to relieve the burden of it all in your head.

No one could live on a permanent basis, constantly being verbally abused like this,you must speak to someone straightaway.If this continues it will affect everything in your life,from friends to family the way you feel about yourself and most importantly your school grades, that must not happen.Please go and speak to somebody who you know will let you speak and who will listen to what you have to say.

Remember you can always phone childline or samaritines, totally annonymous,they are always there ready to help.Do not leave this situation as it is ,it will only get worse as you get older,stop it now,before that happens... takecare
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Sep 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
    Where do you live? Where I live in Canada, you can leave home at 16 if you want to. Your parents can call the police, and the police may find you and talk to you, but they can't force you to go back home.

Of course trying to be on your own in the world at 16 can be a tough feat too, but if you have somewhere safe you can go, and you truly are at a breaking point, it might be worthwhile leaving the situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search