Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sue57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2011, 03:00 PM
    How do I change a temperature and pressure relief value?
    My hot water system, is leaking from the pressure valve, how do I change it?
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Sep 25, 2011, 04:51 PM
    You have a simple fix, start by turning off the water supply to the water heater. Partially drain the heater, then remove the down pipe from the pressure relief with a pipe wrench, then remove the pressure relief by turning it counter clockwise with a pipe wrench. Clean any sediment and debris from around the hole. Apply several layers of teflon tape to the threads of the new pressure valve. Install the new valve as tight as possible by hand without the aid of the pipe wrench, then use the wrench to contiue tightning until the outlet of the new valve is oriented correctly Do NOT over tighten, you will break the brass on the valve. Turn the water supply back on and check for leaks, if no leaks reinstall the down pipe to the new relief valve and you're done.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 25, 2011, 05:08 PM
    Turn off the power at the breaker box and shut off the cold water supply. Now attach a hose to the boiler drain and either lift the lever on the T&P valve or open a hot water faucet to relieve vacume. Now open the boiler drain a drain the heater. Remove the old T&P valve and wrap the new T&P threads with Teflon Tape. Install the new valve, shut off the boiler drain and turn on the cold water supply. Open up a hot water faucet and do not turn the power back on until you see water running out of the faucet If you fail to do this you will burn out a element if you do. You may now turn the power back on.
    Be advised that a T&P valve will open and discharge without being faulty. If your new valve leaks contact me and we'll check it out. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California water heater temperature pressure relief valve [ 36 Answers ]

How do I install a Temperature Pressure Release (TPR) valve on my water heater and meet California Code requirements? My gas water heater is over 40 years old and does not have a TPR valve. The only outlets on the water heater are the inlet cold water and outlet hot water pipes on top of the...

Temperature and Pressure relief valve [ 11 Answers ]

My hot water has been hotter than normal the past 2 days. I finally decided to go down and check what is going on. I found that there is a steady stream of water flowing out of the temperature and pressure relief valve. I have since flipped the breaker to turn off the water heater and shut off the...

Temperature Pressure Relief Valve [ 7 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and need to manually operate the temperature-pressure relief valve on my water heater. How long do I open the valve for? Will water come out of the pipe? I'm new to this. Thank you, Helen

Open the temperature/pressure relief valve [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure how to open the tpv valve on my water heater. I am trying to drain my water heater and I have read that this needs to be done as well. I also want to check that it is working. Jamie

View more questions Search