Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenjen81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2011, 08:37 PM
    Hard panting
    My dog is a 5 yr old staff , she has woke me up at 4 am ,she is panting really hard , and won't sit or lay down she feels very hot my vet does not open for another 6 hours is there anything I can do for her now
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2011, 10:15 PM
    If she is over heated, you can cool her down by putting cold wash clothes on her stomach. You can also use alcohol to help bring down the temp. Dogs cool down by their feet and stomach, so any type of cool down method should be used by having them stand in a cool bath and splashing the belly. Do not use ice cold water.. That'll cause shock.. Just a nice cool bath helps until the vet opens up.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Sep 25, 2011, 12:41 AM
    She may be breathing hard because she feels it is hard to get her breath. Refusing to lay or sit may be because it is easier to 'breathe' by standing (it does put less pressure on the chest that way.) Dogs feeling this way also get some relief by having cool air moving into their face, like a small fan. If she is relieved, she will stay there as long as it helps... no need to chase her around the house with the fan.

Not all panting is from overheating. If you have a thermometer that you can 'sacrifice' to the dogs, take her temp rectally. Use a little Vaseline or even a dab of butter as lubrication. After a minute or so, you will be better informed as to whether she is hot, or something else is bothering her. Normal is under 102 F, high is 103-4, seriously high is 105, and would be the time to start with the baths or other extra measures. Over 106 is dangerously high and may be worth waking your vet if you can't get it below 105 with external measures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil panting [ 1 Answers ]

I have an oil painting done buy g.withman I would like to no how much its worth and were I could sell it if I wanted too

Unusual panting [ 1 Answers ]

My 10 year old chow started panting and drinking lots of water tonight. He is in excellent health with all up-to-date shots. He has never done this before. He paced and is up and down but constantly panting and breathing short and shallow. It is the wee hours of the morning, so I can't take him...

Panting [ 2 Answers ]

My shih tzu has been panting and scratching all day could there be a problem she had pups 6 weeks ago

Panting dog [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine just moved off the street to another house. Her dog is about 11 yrs old. Roxie(dog) is not used to new house, he is only been in it for 4 days and she brought him to my house because she had to go out of town over the weekend. He started to pant and I thought he was having a...

View more questions Search