Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jun 6, 2007, 10:38 PM
    Needkarma:

I am far from a Bible scholar, and can't answer all your questions, and the seeming contradictions, but here is my take on it.

The Old Testament was about all the rules and regulations to be 'right' with God.
    Frankly, its depressing and hard. A lot of the Old Testament is Jewish History and not necessarily doctrinal.

The New Testament and the Gospels [the good news] is about hope and love. That God would send His Son to die for our sins. The Ten Commandments point out our sins and a need for redemption and salvation. In Matthew 5 lust is adultery, in 1 John Hate is murder.
    No one can be'good' enough. Romans 3. But it is joyful to know that faith is all you need -
    Ephesians 2

It is like having a strict father. Bs in school are not good enough, it has to be an A. A single is not good enough, it has to be a homerun etc.. For that you get a paddling.
    Awhile later you are taken hostage, and they demand a ransom from your father or they will torture and kill you. You think your father, the one who was strict, you were never good enough for, would leave you to your fate. But instead he sacrifices himself - takes the torture and death - for your life. Its then you realize how much he loves you, and how much you want to please him. There is no fear because you know he loves you.

Grace and Peace
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Jun 7, 2007, 09:25 AM
    All too common a question these days, I'm afraid. I'm not sure my answer will satisfy you, but I'll put it down anyway.

I was raised in the Methodist church, and until I was an adult, I never knew anything different. Once an adult, I sort of left the church (and Christianity in general), because I just didn't see how all the stuff that got preached to me (most of the sermons sounded more like seminary lectures) really MATTERED out there in the world where the rubber meets the road. Sure, I still believed in God and all that, but wasn't sure if He was what had been represented to me all those years. So I fooled around with other stuff like Buddhism, New Age junk, even looked into Islam and Mormonism a little.

However, various events in my life transpired in such a way as to get my full and undivided attention, and to make a VERY long story short, I ended up back in my hometown after many years, sitting in the same pew of the same church I grew up in. I began taking graduate level courses to reinforce and bolster my knowledge of the faith, and that's where I started running into trouble.

I'm not going to slam any denomination, but I decided for reasons of my own that this particular denomination did not "mesh" with what I had learned thus far, and so began seeking. I found myself in a non-denominational church whose members included folks that had come from Methodist, Baptist, Church of Christ, Catholic, Lutheran, and just about any other denomination you care to name. All of us, down to a person, believe that the name on the door of the church is completely and totally irrelevant, and actually seems to be doing more to DIVIDE God's people than unite them.

So there you have it---I am a non-denominational, Bible-believing, semi-educated Christian who believes that--as Christians of all denominations--we have far more in common than different, and is actively working for unity among ALL who call themselves by Christ's name.

Clear as mud now, ain't it?

DK
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

Jun 7, 2007, 01:13 PM
    [QUOTE=kindj]All too common a question these days, I'm afraid. I'm not sure my answer will satisfy you, but I'll put it down anyway.

I was raised in the Methodist church, and until I was an adult, I never knew anything different. Once an adult, I sort of left the church (and Christianity in general), because I just didn't see how all the stuff that got preached to me (most of the sermons sounded more like seminary lectures) really MATTERED out there in the world where the rubber meets the road. Sure, I still believed in God and all that, but wasn't sure if He was what had been represented to me all those years. So I fooled around with other stuff like Buddhism, New Age junk, even looked into Islam and Mormonism a little.

However, various events in my life transpired in such a way as to get my full and undivided attention, and to make a VERY long story short, I ended up back in my hometown after many years, sitting in the same pew of the same church I grew up in. I began taking graduate level courses to reinforce and bolster my knowledge of the faith, and that's where I started running into trouble.

I'm not going to slam any denomination, but I decided for reasons of my own that this particular denomination did not "mesh" with what I had learned thus far, and so began seeking. I found myself in a non-denominational church whose members included folks that had come from Methodist, Baptist, Church of Christ, Catholic, Lutheran, and just about any other denomination you care to name. All of us, down to a person, believe that the name on the door of the church is completely and totally irrelevant, and actually seems to be doing more to DIVIDE God's people than unite them.

So there you have it---I am a non-denominational, Bible-believing, semi-educated Christian who believes that--as Christians of all denominations--we have far more in common than different, and is actively working for unity among ALL who call themselves by Christ's name.

Clear as mud now, ain't it?
    Kindj,
    Don't leave out the most important part of all of this... that we Must be born again!
    (Joh 3:1) There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

(Joh 3:2) The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

(Joh 3:3) Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

(Joh 3:4) Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

(Joh 3:5) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

(Joh 3:6) That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

(Joh 3:7) Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

(Joh 3:8) The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

(Joh 3:9) Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?

(Joh 3:10) Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

(Joh 3:11) Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.

(Joh 3:12) If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

(Joh 3:13) And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

(Joh 3:14) And as Moses lifted the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

(Joh 3:15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

(Joh 3:16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

(Joh 3:17) For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Joh 3:18) He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 7, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kindj

DK
    I think that the key to this post is "various events in my life transpired in such a way as to get my full and undivided attention..." I truly think that those kinds of events seem necessary for some reason to get most Christians' attention. I had come to the end of my rope as a very heavy drug user and alcoholic. It took nearly 10 years of broken relationships, vehicle accidents, overdoses, jail time, lost money and heavy debt, etc. to finally reach a point where I had to make a decision. When I was in the early stages of cirrhosis of the liver (at age 24) I knew I had to turn to a power greater than myself and that power was Jesus Christ. I'm now 47 and much healthier than I was in my 20s. I give all credit, praise, and glory to Jesus Christ for giving me the strength and the tools to recover from that nightmare. Other people come to Christ through living other experiences. I like to hear the stories.

Jun 7, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Poppa said: "Don't leave out the most important part of all of this....that we Must be born again!"

I tried to rate your post but was told I "had to spread my ratings around before I could rate you again"??

Anyway, you're absolutely correct. That's what's so difficult about discussing Chrsitianity with non-believers. We're really in two different places or plains which makes it virtually impossible to connect. On the other hand, how will non-believers ever hear the gospel if they don't hear it preached?

Jun 8, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson
    Poppa said: "Don't leave out the most important part of all of this....that we Must be born again!"

I tried to rate your post but was told I "had to spread my ratings around before I could rate you again"?????????

Anyway, you're absolutely correct. That's what's so difficult about discussing Chrsitianity with non-believers. We're really in two different places or plains which makes it virtually impossible to connect. On the other hand, how will non-believers ever hear the gospel if they don't hear it preached?
    AMEN! It is the TRUTH that sets us free!!!
    (Rom 10:9) That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

(Rom 10:10) For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

(Rom 10:11) For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Jun 8, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa0777
    Hey need karma,
    Your ignorance, immaturity, and obvious lack of the fear of God is so plain for all to see. Since you seem to be so intent on "bending" the Scripture with you childish actions,I will caution you about this by sharing a scripture with you...Galatians 6:7,8..Be not deceived, God is not mocked:for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption: but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. I fear for you when you don't have the sense to fear for yourself. You need to repent and beg the forgiveness of a merciful God.
    NeedKarma,
    This was in no way meant to be a "personal attack". The answer was strong because I believe the Bible teaches very strongly that each of us will stand before a just God and give an account for everything we've done or sais. I am sorry if I offended you.

[B](2Co 5:10) For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

(2Co 5:11) Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.[/B]

Jun 8, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    None are so blind as those who will not see.
    Correct, now apply that very important truth and you'll be on the right path.
    Howwillyourepre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 12:17 AM
    I am a Christian because I believe and follow Jesus the Christ's teachings. I go to simply a Christian - Christian Church we believe only in the bible and all of it's teaching. I feel this is right because the bible is the only thing God wrote that is given to us. We all have our own faith and everyone is on the same level. I promise this is truly the right path to go, but I'm sure any of the different Christian forms are just a benifitting:)

Dec 27, 2010, 06:11 AM
    For me, it's not a difficult question to address. Saying we are 'christians' and going to church is not what makes anyone a christian. That would be like saying that standing in a garage makes you a car!
    Since the term 'christian' was coined by the apostle Paul in the book of Acts, as 'someone belonging to Christ', we have to understand that religious ritual or joining a church, or shaking the preacher's hand cannot make us a christian. True profession means possession!
    If I were to profess to be an air pilot, and you got in a plane with me, we would all be killed! Why? Because I didn't possess what I professed.
    Since the term 'Christian' was first used in the Bible to denote 'someone belonging to Christ', that's what it takes to become a christian. Here is what the Bible says about this... Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
    Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
    Rom 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
    Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2010, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa0777 View Post
    Since the term 'christian' was coined by the apostle Paul in the book of Acts, as 'someone belonging to Christ',
    Sir Nitpick sez:

Wrong. It was coined by nonbelievers in Antioch shortly after a church was established there. It seems to have started as a derogatory term but the believers adopted it and wore it proudly. Paul had nothing to do with its origin.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On Being a Christian [ 14 Answers ]

What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that? M:)RGANITE

Christian Discovery [ 3 Answers ]

Do You Have Nay Subject Of New Discovery Regarding Christian Discovery Or Any Proof Of The Bible Artificats?

Christian [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am Mich3. I was looking for a Christian page. Is there one here?

Traditionally christian [ 7 Answers ]

I've always considered myself religious... I could never accept that there is nothing more than the life we've got now... But I don't know where I fit into the different religeions... I have an incling that its christian, But you hear about being christian is giving your whole life over to the...

Need Help With Christian Song Name [ 1 Answers ]

I Know The Lyrics But Need To Know The Title And Who Sings It. Any info would be a great help. It is a woman who sings it. The Lyrics Are Jesus Loves Me This I Know For The Bible Tells Me So Little Ones To Him Below They Are Weak But He Is Strong Alleluia Allelu Alleluia Alleluia

View more questions Search