Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 7, 2007, 08:15 AM
    To Duke of Url- Thank you for the response. I did not say I agree with all of the denominations but I was referring to denominations who believed in Christ as the post was about different types of Christianity. I do not prefer to call myself Baptist, Catholic, Mormon or whatever. I have studied each, and I find value in each one. I consider many different denominations or religions (Wrong Turns).. some of then profess to be a believer in Christ and others do not. Even the ones who say that they believe in Christ, I think that some get caught up in the laws and the rules and get off the main point of Jesus Christ.. But sometime we have to take a wrong turn in order to hit a brick wall... The value I find in this is exactly that.. a religion that eventually does not get you anywhere close to God... And when you get that far off you will be left to rely solely not on your religion, but on Jesus Christ.
    DUKE-OF-URL Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

May 7, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by krystal1973
    To Duke of Url- Thank you for the response. I did not say I agree with all of the denominations but I was refering to denominations who believed in Christ as the post was about different types of Christianity. I do not prefer to call myself Baptist, Catholic, Mormon or whatever. I have studied each, and I find value in each one. I consider many different denominations or religions (Wrong Turns).. some of then profess to be a believer in Christ and others do not. Even the ones who say that they believe in Christ, I think that some get caught up in the laws and the rules and get off of the main point of Jesus Christ.. But sometime we have to take a wrong turn in order to hit a brick wall.... The value I find in this is exactly that.. a religion that eventually does not get you anywhere close to God... And when you get that far off you will be left to rely soley not on your religion, but on Jesus Christ.
    Ok was going to give you a thumbs up but it won't let me at the moment ;-) God Bless
    Malani Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leila07
    I want to know how many different types of christianity there are, and what they do. If you are reading this and you are a christian, what is the name of your group? And how do you know you are the right group? Do your prayers get answered and if so, how?
    I am a christian, but i feel discouraged by the fact that there are so many different groups and they all believe themselves to be right. I'm not sure whether we just believe what we were brought up to believe or if we actually believe it ourselves. I'm wondering if I only believe because this is all i know, or if this is actually the right way.
    Another question i would like to ask is, how did you come across your group, were you brought up in it or did you find it some other way?
    List the types of christianity
    PortalWriter Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

May 19, 2007, 05:24 PM
    I belong to an independent community church. I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and I serve his Kingdom with joy and gladness. Not just because he is my Lord and Saviour, but because he is my Personal Friend.

As far as I am concerned anyone who is on Christ's side is in the right group. Prayer for me is simply communicating with God, and having God communicate back. And yes he does communicate back? How? Anyone which way He wants to.

No I don't believe everything my church says is right. For that matter I don't believe everything I say is right. I often misinterpret God's Word.

Yes, I am a second generation believer, and I have had the same doubts as you, Leila07 . I even went through a time when I gave up on Christianity, but I came back. Why? Because I had a personal encounter with a living God.
    It sounds like you could you use a fresh encounter with Jesus.

I believe you are going to get one.

"Ask and you will Receive"
    "Seek and you Will Find"
    "Knock and The Door will be Open Unto You"

Matthew 7:8/Luke 11:10
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Malani
    list the types of christianity
    A great site:
    http://www.beliefnet.com/index/index_10300.html
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 19, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Romans 3: 21-26
    John 3: 16-20
    John 14: 6-7
    Ephesians 2: 8-10
    Galatians 3

I am a sinner, it is on the love of Jesus Christ, his sacrificial death and resurrection, that I trust in for my redemption and salvation.
    This life is short and it is for His praise, honor and glory.

Grace and peace
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

May 25, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leila07
    I want to know how many different types of christianity there are, and what they do. If you are reading this and you are a christian, what is the name of your group? And how do you know you are the right group? Do your prayers get answered and if so, how?
    I am a christian, but i feel discouraged by the fact that there are so many different groups and they all believe themselves to be right. I'm not sure whether we just believe what we were brought up to believe or if we actually believe it ourselves. I'm wondering if I only believe because this is all i know, or if this is actually the right way.
    Another question i would like to ask is, how did you come across your group, were you brought up in it or did you find it some other way?
    There is only one "type" of Christian. You either are, or are not. Read John Chapter 3 and Romans Chapter 10.
    A person becomes a Christian when they believe in their heart and confess with their mouth that Jesus Christ came into the world to die on the cross for the sins of the world.
    As to your observation of different types...you are probably referring to denominations; or organized denominational groups.
    It is not necessary to join a Church to be saved. Going to Church cannot make you a Christian any more than going to a garage make you a car!!
    I hope this helps
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 3, 2007, 10:35 PM
    [QUOTE=Leila07]I want to know how many different types of christianity there are, and what they do. If you are reading this and you are a christian, what is the name of your group? And how do you know you are the right group? Do your prayers get answered and if so, how?
    QUOTE]

The "right" group is Jesus Christ and His Apostles. Read about them and their travels and experiences and you will be with the right group. I am purely non-denominational in the very real sense. I even attended a non-denominational church for awhile until I realized that the word "non-denominational" had become a denomination. Read the whole Bible from the very beginning in Genesis to the very end at the last page of Revelation. It will take you some time but it is very fulfilling. I've only met a couple of Christians in my life who have actually read the entire Bible. Most modern Christians are content to just believe whatever their favorite pastor tells them (even if it is incorrect). So, instead of looking for the group that's right, read what's right (the Bible) and find a group that agrees with it completely. Avoid groups that believe that the Bible is insufficient; who have added traditions or additional books to the "necessary for salvation" roster. Those types of groups will lead you astray and they follow a false Christ. The moral Law of God; coupled with the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and His grace upon us; coupled with God's revealed Word as found in the Holy Bible... accept these and live by them and you cannot go wrong.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jun 4, 2007, 02:42 AM
    God is not interested in what domination you are in but rather what kind of life you are living. The bible is a mirror for us and we should see ourselves in it. The only way you know when someone is a christian is when he is a living bible . You can visit the following site it may help you .www.williambranham.com
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 04:39 AM
    Marily,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law and that we should follow the bible in its entirety.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Jun 4, 2007, 05:31 AM
    NK, I know what you are trying to say and do and before I even decided on answering yr question I first thought what God would say or do in a situation like this and all that I could came up was if you were standing next to me asking me those things, if yr a women I would hug you and said ' God bless you' if yr a man I would take your hand bless you ;)
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 05:39 AM
    So I guess you'll recommend a book as a guide but ignore the parts you don't like.

Jun 4, 2007, 06:15 AM
    I really like you, you seemed to bring the best out of me :) maybe this will help : Avoiding a fight is a mark of honor , only fools insist in quarreling -author: JESUS
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 06:37 AM
    What you consider 'fighting' others call it 'backing up your statements'. What you are doing is picking and choosing:

[I copied the following from an interesting website]

-------------------------------------------------------

They pick and choose from the Bible. They ignore a lot of it.

They pick the few parts that teach forgiveness, love, justice, care for others, and that show God to be “a loving God”, like a heavenly father. And they base all their belief on those.

And they ignore the rest. Which makes up most of the Bible. They ignore most of the supposed “divinely inspired, word of God”.

They ignore the many parts that call for fanaticism, rigidness, killing of unbelievers, punishments that affect not only the supposed sinner, but his family, including several generations of descendants. They skip the parts that say than people should be put to death for homosexuality, or for disobeying their parents, or for doing this, or that - even for gathering wood on the Sabbath. They move over the parts that don't make any sense (4 links). They believe in an all-powerful God, so they ignore passages like this.

So, basically, the only way to be a non-fanatic Christian is to ignore, say, 90% of the Bible.

While I applaud such people for rejecting the obviously “bad” parts of their “holy” book, I have to say that it doesn't really make a lot of sense… that is, if you pick and choose from the Bible, following only the parts you like (about, say, 10%), then aren't you, in a way, creating your own religion? Aren't you saying that 90% of the Bible is worthless for you, yet the remaining 10% is worth following, believing in, basing your faith on? Aren't you, in effect, saying that 90% of the supposed “word of God” is… crap?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Jun 4, 2007, 07:25 AM
    You should not believe everything you read on websites, something's are written to discourage people. I don't know if you are a christian or not but so far you have just wrote negative things to me. Forgetting that if you are interested I could give you my email address so that we could get to know each other.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Uh-oh, I wasn't aware that that site may have stuff that isn't correct. What part is not true?
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:59 AM
    I certainly do not want to jump in the middle of this - but I do have a question.
    NK, you bring up some points in that long post about interperting the old testament.
    Does the New Testament clarify these types of things? I know in the old, men had lots of wives, in the new they didn't.

Oh, and NK, you can't own a Canadian slave because you are Canadian. It clearly states that you can only have one from another nation. :)

Jun 4, 2007, 08:01 AM
    You falsely accused me of picking and choosing, and I forgive you for that. Im not here to have a debate with anyone, but if you have a change of mind or attitude I am more than willing to explain to you who I am and for what I stand for.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Okay, Marily... I, as a Christian, sincerely have a question. I admit that I am not as educated on the Bible as I would like. Sometimes I get confused. NeedKarma did bring up a question for me. A lot of the things that were brought up in the old testament confuse me. How things were handled, etc.
    Did Jesus, in the New testament explain things. Like, having more than one wife in the old and only having one in the new. (that is what readily comes to my mind)

That is something that has always confused me.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jun 4, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Need karma:

Read action jackson's suggestion

Read and study the bible in its entirety.

When you bring up the Law in the OT [ i.e. levicticus] and the read of the harshness, gore, and punishment in the such books as in Joshua or Judges, this stands in stark contrast to what Jesus did for us in the Gospels. Matt 5:17

Also read St Paul's Epistles regarding freedom. For example Galatians 3, 1 John: 4

Grace and Peace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On Being a Christian [ 14 Answers ]

What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that? M:)RGANITE

Christian Discovery [ 3 Answers ]

Do You Have Nay Subject Of New Discovery Regarding Christian Discovery Or Any Proof Of The Bible Artificats?

Christian [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am Mich3. I was looking for a Christian page. Is there one here?

Traditionally christian [ 7 Answers ]

I've always considered myself religious... I could never accept that there is nothing more than the life we've got now... But I don't know where I fit into the different religeions... I have an incling that its christian, But you hear about being christian is giving your whole life over to the...

Need Help With Christian Song Name [ 1 Answers ]

I Know The Lyrics But Need To Know The Title And Who Sings It. Any info would be a great help. It is a woman who sings it. The Lyrics Are Jesus Loves Me This I Know For The Bible Tells Me So Little Ones To Him Below They Are Weak But He Is Strong Alleluia Allelu Alleluia Alleluia

View more questions Search