Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Milton33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 06:34 PM
    "No Signal" on Monitor; PC power on but not booting up
    I have a PC I built about 6 months ago that I've never had any problems with. Now when I turn it on I get "no signal" on my monitor. The problem is not the monitor though... the PC does not give any "beeps" or show signs of booting up... though the lights are on, all components seem to be functioning just fine. At first I thought maybe it had something to do with the temperature (it is in my basement and has been very cold recently) so I moved it to a warmer room but still nothing.

I've tried removing and reinstalling just about everything. All connections seem fine. Like I said I've never had problems before and have no idea what could have precipitated all this.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 5, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Is this computer on a power bar? AC power is known to "sag" and "dip" and have power "surges" anytime.

Static could also screw things up. (Although it shouldn't be a problem, if the system is properly grounded).

A while ago, I had a momentary power loss that shutdown the computer. Afterwards, it wouldn't boot anymore. No beeps nothing. So I swapped out the power supply. Same thing, nothing...

Luckily I had a second working computer with the same Socket A, so I swapped the CPU and RAM over, and it worked as usual, so the good news is that the CPU and RAM is fine.

I then took the non-working motherboard to work the next day and tried to troubleshoot with known good parts I had. Nothing.

Pretty sure the power loss did something on the motherboard.
    Morton35 Posts: 26, Reputation: 4

Feb 5, 2007, 09:13 AM
    I had a problem very similar to this not too long ago. This issue could be a number of things. The likely culprit is either the motherboard or CPU. Although the power supply is possible. I would start with the motherboard, see if you can replace it and if its not that, then its likely the CPU. Make sure the CPU fan is functional and you have proper cooling in your PC. This problem can be caused by an overheated CPU which is what I believe what happened with mine.

I had a Sempron processor which I had to replace. Unfortunately, I had to get a new motherboard as well since it seems Socket 754 processors are getting hard to find.
    Milton33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 10:39 AM
    It was on a power bar though I've now tried it in other places and still no luck. CPU and fan appear to be functioning fine... I don't have anything to swap them into to test though. Maybe I'll have to purchase a new motherboard and test things on that...

I also am confident it did not overheat seeing as the problem started in January in my basement here in frozen Boston... I actually thought the cold might be the problem...

Thanks for responding.
    ymeski56 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Try tossing in your system disk. If C/dive died (my vote) you should get the same result but U now know pri/master is n/g. Swap it out w/ any known to be good h/d at least big enough to load op/sys (don't forget to set switches to operate as the pri/master drive. Reboot again W/ op/system disk in sec/master drive. If starts to take aliking to your new pri/master there's probably some generic vga diver right around the next corner looking for something to do. If op/system w/limited installs, abort this install & use it for the h/d you intend to use as your new pri/master. I saw a Virus reduce a friends comp to the same state as yours, but it took a few days. If he let it just run, the V seemed to go dormant, but if he rebooted, something new was added to the list thing it would no longer do.
    vashct28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 01:39 PM
    "No Signal" on Monitor; PC power on but not booting up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer is on, But Monitor display "No signal" [ 5 Answers ]

I am running on Window 2000 Professional OS, When I not touch the computer for 10 or 20 minutes(the time is not fixed), the monitor goes off and display "no signal". Then I cannot do anything except turn the computer off by press the computer power button. When I turn on the computer again,...

Monitor not working "No Signal" [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Daewoo HL710S LCD Monitor that is Plug & Play and DDC 1, 2B (whatever that means) It works fine with a Dell computer running Windows 2000 Professional. I am now trying to hook it up to a Compaq Evo (D51S) that has Windows XP Professional All I get is a “No Signal” message on the...

Monitor keeps turning off until "warmed up" [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all. I'm having an annoying problem with my monitor. Whenever I boot up my computer and enter Windows XP my monitor will keep turning off an on for a minute or two until it is warmed up. It also does this when the computer wakes up from sleep mode. Sometimes it will turn off and I'll have to...

Monitor "standbying" after replacement of fans [ 6 Answers ]

This problem has been solved - solution at the bottom. My PC: Windows XP Home AMD 64 3000+ 1 GB RAM NVIDIA 6800 LE 128 MB Asus K8N motherboard - and I never clock ---------------

Emulate a 14" display on a 17" monitor [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently changed my old 14" computer monitor to a new ViewSonic 17" (16" display) monitor. I design websites and I want to be able to emulate the *actual size* and resolution of a 14" monitor at 800x600 in my new monitor, to see what the rest of the net surfers see when viewing my pages. Is...

View more questions Search