Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superstar18 Posts: 380, Reputation: 5

Sep 21, 2011, 09:40 PM
    Comma help
    Do you put a comma after or before the words such as. I don't know because it's a preposition I think.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 21, 2011, 10:17 PM
    This is a paraphrase from wiki.answers --

1. A comma goes before "such as" when examples follow, making it nonrestrictive. (For nonrestrictive constructions: use a comma.)

Example: My favorite flavors of candy are fruit flavors, such as cherry and lemon.

This shows that the sentence is complete and the idea is complete without the list of examples. The list of examples simply illustrates "fruit flavors" (the category) but does not restrict it. So it is nonrestrictive and needs a comma.

2. Don't use a comma before "such as" when what follows defines or limits what went before, making it restrictive. (For restrictive constructions: no comma.)

Example: The refugees were unable to carry "things" such as clothes, bedding, and furniture.

Here, what comes after "such as" serves to define (restrict) the idea of "things." The category isn't named. The list is necessary to explain what kinds of things the refugees had to leave behind. The category might be "household goods," but it isn't stated--instead, the "such as" list supplies the definition. It is restrictive. No comma.
    superstar18 Posts: 380, Reputation: 5

Sep 21, 2011, 10:35 PM
    So here is what I have, There are several different forms of verbal bullying such as name calling, insulting, or teasing. So in this case I would put a comma before
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 21, 2011, 10:41 PM
    Yes, that sentence is nonrestrictive, like the #1 example.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To use a comma or not. [ 2 Answers ]

In writing only month and year - July 1997 - do you place a comma after the month or not?

Does my sentence need a comma? [ 3 Answers ]

John also mentioned that recipients of the report would included top delegates such as Mary Gold to various journalists.

Does this sentence need the comma? [ 5 Answers ]

Explain that sometimes two words are put together to make a new word, Called a compound word.

Punctuation- Comma [ 4 Answers ]

1) In addition, between tenants, the apartment must be inspected by the relevant parties such as plumbers, exterminators and electricians 2) In addition, between tenants the apartment must be inspected by the relevant parties such as plumbers, exterminators and electricians Which one is...

Another comma confusion. [ 1 Answers ]

I am always docked down for using too many commas and not enough ;... will you please explain when using a ; is appropriate, and I guess the correct name, as well. Thanks!

View more questions Search