Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canoad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2011, 07:32 PM
    Interfacing wireless sensors from ADT security to computer
    Hi there
    I have an ADT alarm system that is not monitored and wish to use the wireless sensors in a DIY alarm system. I would like to know how to interface these sensors to my computer. I have a Mac and was looking at Indigo software but their forum does not offer any solutions for this (left a question). I could use a Pc instead of Mac if that helps.

I have no idea how the sensors communicate with their base station (what frequencies) and what hardware I would need on the PC side. Any information on the subject would be appreciated or point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Sep 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
    Hello!

Just to let you know, what you are asking is illegal, and would be very difficult to accomplish (especially with a MAC. Lol). First the sensors have software installed on them that is probably proprietary to ADT (this is where the illegal part comes in) You would have to alter this software somehow to communicate with your device. Not an easy task to accomplish. There are however, plenty of other devices on the market that are relatively cheap and can be configured easily with your home computer (even a mac). They even got it to where you can see what's going on with your Android or iPhone.
    mattip1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2011, 09:20 AM
    I am looking for a similar solution and will only use a Mac with Indigo as my research revealed it is superior. The previous home owner purchased a 3,000 installation and paid ADT to monitor. As long as you purchased the sensors (not leased) you can do whatever you want with them without "fear" of being thrown in jail (I kid about the jail part, obviously). The worst thing that could happen is that you break the device when hacking it which would obviously void any warrantee the device (and possibly violate any contract you may have with ADT) may have had. Even if it were against the terms of service it cannot be illegal, sorry farvaknowsbest but that's a poor choice of words. The only was such an act could be illegal would be if you violated FCC regulations risking interference of governed wireless signals (aviation systems).

Example of precedent for allowance of hacking personally owned devices:
    Under the DMCA of 2010, jailbreaking Apple iDevices is legal in the United States, although Apple has announced that the practice "can void the warranty."[1] However, the jailbreaking process does not include any modification to the hardware, so it can be quickly and easily reversed simply by restoring the operating system through iTunes.

Definition of illegal - contrary to or forbidden by law, esp. criminal law: illegal drugs.
    canoad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2012, 12:01 PM
    I definitely agree with Mattip1, but still we don't have an answer to the question. I was not even talking about using ADT control pannel just the sensors. I am still looking!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect A computer to another computer wireless [ 3 Answers ]

Can I Connect computer to another computer wireless without router or access point

Self Purchase and Code Wireless Sensor for ADT Pro Panel System [ 1 Answers ]

I have a water damaged wireless remote window sensor for an ADT Safewatch Pro wireless control panel system in my home. 1) Can I buy a sensor somewhere that is compatible and install it back in the window frame myself? Is so where and roughly how much. ADT cost is unreasonable for a simple...

Adt security [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have purchased the installation of an alarm security system for my business. The vendor name is adt security. What accounts should I post for the purchase of the alarm system? Each month, which accounts will I post if any. What category in accounts would this fall under i.e.....

How to Program Door Chime on ADT or DSC security system. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an ADT Focus 32 home security system. When the system was installed, the installer programmed a different chime sound for each of 4 exterior doors. I would like to change the chime tone on one of the doors, I have the "Instruction Manual" and the "Installation Manual" but neither provide...

Interfacing ethernet to wireless LAN [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Dear, I am currently using ethernet connection.I have ethernet slot in my room.I want to make a wireless connection of 4 or 5 laptops with this available slot. How can I do this?What necessary products I will be requiring for this. Guide me, I am new in this field. Regards Imran

View more questions Search