Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steve_R Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2011, 08:22 AM
    Louisiana inheritance laws children?
    After the death of both parents how are assets distributed to surviving children?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2011, 09:21 AM
    What did the will specify? Or was there even a will, as in they passed away without having one?

The parents could have legally given everything away to anyone else... or even a charity in a will, or even to just one child.

We need more information.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 10:06 AM
    Normally the assets of the estate are distributed in accordance with the decedent's will. But if neither parent had a will, the property is split according to LA's rules for intestate estates. The rules for the split of the assets in LA are different for community property vesus separate property. If neither parent had a will, then for the case where there are children:

1. When the first parent died one half of his/her community property goes to the surviving spouse, the other half of community property goes to the direct descendants subject to the surviving spouse's "usufruct" (meaning the surviving spouse can use the asset, but when she/he remarries or dies it passes to the descedant's descendants), and any separate property goes to his/her children.

2. Then when the second parent died her/his estate would be split between her/his children (assuming she/he did not get remarried).

So after both parents have passed the net result is the children split the estate. If any child pre-deceased either parent then that child's "share" goes to his/her children.

Sep 20, 2011, 10:16 AM
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. Assuming there is not a will would the assets have to be divided in a judicial procedure. Also would any sibling with power of attorney be able to exclude another sibling from inheritance or limit the amount of inheritance.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. Assuming there is not a will would the assets have to be divided in a judicial procedure. Also would any sibling with power of attorney be able to exclude another sibling from inheritance or limit the amount of inheritance.
    The Power of Attorney is void once the person who granted the PoA has died. Because there is no will the court must appoint an executor, who is responsible for administering the estate including paying any final bills and distributing the estate assets to the heirs. As already noted, state law dictates that the estate assets must be split between descendants. The executor can not decide to exclude any of the rightful heirs (although it is possible for an heir to disclaim his/her portion).

Sep 20, 2011, 11:02 AM
    Thank you all (Y'all down here). Your answers were very helpful to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Louisiana inheritance laws [ 2 Answers ]

My mother and father have 7 children. My father died leaving leaving a will giving my mother everything. My mother is still alive but has given the 180 acre family farm to my two brothers. I and my 4 sisters are upset and feel that is unfair, that she has for all practical purposes disinherited us....

Louisiana Inheritance Laws [ 1 Answers ]

My grandfather adopted my father when he was 2. He then divorced my grandmother. He didn't have a good relationship with my father. Once my father had us we never seen or heard from my grandfather. My question is if he disinherited my father does that apply to me? Also do I have any legal...

Louisiana inheritance laws. [ 1 Answers ]

My son died intestate recently. He was twice maried and twice divorced. He has a minor daughter by 1st wife. While married to wife # 2, I gave him $20,000 cash to purchase a buildiing for his business (Auto Repair Shop). Now wife # 2 wants "her half" of the buisiness. Her name is on the deed to...

Louisiana inheritance laws for children [ 4 Answers ]

Couple married for over fifty years in state of Louisiana, and still married. This couple has four natural born children, all children over the age of forty five and still living. None of these children have ever been in trouble with law, drugs, etc. This couple has property, and a little money,...

View more questions Search