Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mad2020 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2011, 06:56 AM
    6 Years of Relationship and He cheated on me
    Have a boyfriend for almost 6 years and we're on the stage of planning to get married next year. But I caught him flirting with his friend (YM CHAT). I read all the messages that he misses her and hope to see her soon. And I think something happened between them (sex)(according to the messages) I confronted him but he told me nothing happened b/w them. I was very hurt. I have tried to break up with him but he cries and begs me not to leave him. He asked me for a chance and forgivenes and even I, can't bring myself to break up with him. He's my life. But I don't know how I can trust him after all, Im so paranoid what if he do it again. Even we're OK, I still can't sleep, I feel unsecured.

I know I don't deserve it, but I feel tortured. But I also can't imagined myself without him. How can I forgive him? Do I need to hold on him? DO I have to trust him again.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 07:29 AM
    To be blunt: IF you want to keep the relationship, then yes you are going to have to learn to trust him again. IF you feel like you can't work together to rebuild the trust, then let him and the relationship go. No sense in hurting yourself to hurt him.

Forgiving is not the same as forgetting. Forgiving means that you accept he knows he made a mistake and you are willing to work with him to rebuild the trust. You probably will not forget what happened (or rather what you think happened.) You can learn how to let it fade but the memory will be there for a very long time. You can learn how to keep it from affecting your life.

You might consider couple's counseling or a 'marriage class' (some places give discounts on marriage licenses to those who complete 'marriage' classes.) It could help you find ways to communicate and work through the issues.

Good luck.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2011, 09:44 AM
    Your just assuming it was a sexual relationship. It might not have been. Either way, it sounds like you want to work through this.

Thinking that before marriage, Grown catholic that I was, we had to take classes and do tests, and counseling before marriage. It is an important step before marriage regardless of the issues.

It takes time, it will not be over night. You both have things to work through and as long as your both working through these issues and have a third party help you guys through this it could help you become closer as a couple.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 04:33 PM
    I think if you keep working together you can get through this but don't get married until you have done the very hard work of restoring trust. You will never forget, but you can move beyond it if you forgive.
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2011, 05:50 PM
    You have two clear options.

One is to break up with him because you feel you will never be able to forgive him and will never trust him again (for something that you are assuming her did, considering that he told you that he and this friend didn't do anything, you are already not wanting to trust him from the beginning).

Options number two is to forgive him (for something he didn't even do) and to learn to trust him again.
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2011, 09:11 PM
    Whether he did physically, he did emotionally.
    What did we do before texts?

After 6 years, now its time to talk. Before any further plans.

Its trust & decisions now.
    How you will both move forward, if both of you are still invested.
    Counseling?

Work time.

Mad2020 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2011, 12:36 AM
    He betrayed and bending knees to come back after I found out he's cheating on me
    After 6 years to be with my BF, I'd just found out that he cheated on me. He kept the secret for almost 10 months that he had an affair with his friend. At first he denied, then accidentally I talk to his friend about everything and the girl admit that they did it (sex). He say sorry and he promise that he will never do that again. I asked him why he did that to me and he say's he doesn't know and feel ashame of what he did. I felt so betrayed. Im so hurt and I can't stand it and I also don't want to let him go, but every time I saw him ALL THE PAIN COMES BACK. He pleases me to comeback and really felt SORRY .

I don't know what to do.. Its still fresh ( it was happened 3 days back). I don't know what to think and what will happened. I don't know how to forgive, will I still forgive and move on or what..

I really don't know what to do. Im alone and my Family is not here with me. Im living with him
    14 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Nov 21, 2011, 04:44 AM
    I always wonder what's going through people's minds after they cheat and have to explain. MY opinion is that he's not valuing you as highly as he should. You've devoted 6 (assumingly faithful) years to him! And not only did he DO the deed, but it isn't like he came crying to you afterwards, honestly begging for forgiveness. But it's a very big decision to make, what to do. Do you think you can get over what he's done and trust him again?

On the other hand, I've never committed adultery, so I don't know whether it's possible to regret. My opinion is, if they aren't faithful, they don't deserve it back! (I.E: I'd pack my bags.) Maybe try a separation. Few weeks without him. Have a proper think, and see how you feel.

X Dani
    hidden123 Posts: 153, Reputation: 51

Nov 21, 2011, 02:26 PM
    I agree that you need to take more time to think.. I know it's difficult since you live together, but, I'd sleep in a separate bedroom. If you only have one bedroom - have him sleep on the couch. You need time for two reasons, in my opinion: 1. think about what has happened and weather this is something you can forgive ( I don't think you'll ever forget), take a more closer look at your relationship; 2. He needs to sweat and worry that you won't take him back.. if you just forgive him right away and take him back quickly - he'll see how easy it was to get back in your graces and may have a bigger chance of doing it again...
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

Nov 21, 2011, 02:38 PM
    I'm sorry you are having this horrible thing happen right now, in your life. Right now you are probably confused about everything. What I would first is examine whether you are ready to marry this person.

Like"hidden123" said, your BF did not tell you himself, and probably would have kept it from you if you didn't find out from someone else. "Guilt after the fact" is skeptical.

The next thing you should think about is TRUST. Can you trust him? Relationships that last a lifetime are built on trust. If that trust is broken, it is very hard to get it back. If you cannot picture yourself forgiving him, this relationship will not work. (I am not suggesting you make it work either, it is your choice.)

Good Luck. And again, I am sorry, keep your head-up.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 03:42 PM
    Your questions were merged together and edited.

Your worst fears were confirmed, and now you need time, more than 4 days to let the emotions settle down, and then decide what you want to do about it. You are angry, upset, and afraid right now, so him sleeping on the couch until YOU feel like dealing with this is the way to go.

Leaving is acceptable, asking him to leave until you are ready is also acceptable. Anger is okay, not violence, but some name calling to vent.

You don't have to forgive, or forget right now. So don't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a relationship likely to last if both partners have cheated? [ 8 Answers ]

If a relationship starts as an affair, and not only that but both partners have cheated on each other within the first 6 month of the relationship, is it likely to last? Can they every truly be happy?

Have you ever cheated in a relationship or been cheated on? [ 12 Answers ]

Was it obvious you/your partner was cheating or did they seem sweet and innocent?

4 year relationship ended when she cheated [ 8 Answers ]

I just ended a relationship three days ago with the girl I've been dating for 4.5 years. It turns out that before xmas break when I was not on campus she cheated on me with another guy. They did everything but sex. She claims she was stupid, was losing feelings for me, started getting feelings for...

Should I still be in a relationship with a boyfriend that cheated on me? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, here's my story... My boyfriend and I have a long distance relationship. He lives in NY and I'm in FL. We first met while living in different states, and are still that way today. So we just see each other every few months. I know it seems crazy, but we knew what we were getting into and...

She cheated on me 3 weeks into our relationship [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend started dating about a month ago now.. I lost my virginity to her and we are both 19. She came over about a month into our relationship and broke up with me crying so much. She left after telling me all of this crap and called me a little bit later and confessed her love to...

View more questions Search