Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lara2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2011, 12:47 PM
    OPT, Independent Contractor
    I am in my OPT status. Am I eligible to work as an independent contractor instead of working as an employee to some company?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 10:02 AM
    If you have completed 5 years of F1, you will file resident tax return. You will get 1099-misc instead of W2. You will report your income and work related expenses on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). Then you put net income (or loss) on line 12 of Form 1040. This income is subject to SE tax at 15.3% (this is shown on line 57 of Form 1040). http://taxipay.blogspot.com/2008/04/tax-filing-by-self-employed-sole.html
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2011, 09:09 AM
    This is really a LEGAL question that is best posted in the Immigration Law portion of the LAW Forum.

It is a technical violation of your visa to work as an independent contractor while on OPT, but it is the EMPLOER's violation, not yours, and the USCIS knows this, so they will NOT hold you responsible. That said, while on OPT, it REALLY does not matter tax-wise too much whether you are working under a Form W-2 or a Form 1099, because you are exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes while under the F-1 visa, so, subsequently, you will owe NO self-employment taxes when you file as a non-resident, filing Form 1040Nr with a Schedule C.

Now, if and when you become a resident alien under a H-1 or H-1B visa, THEN it is important that you work under a Form W-2 as a true employee, because if you do not, you become liable for ALL of the Social Security and Medicare taxes when you pay the 15.3% self-employment tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes to be paid by independent contractor on OPT in Texas [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I am working as a Independent contractor from June 2010. Am on my OPT at present. I am located in Texas. Can anyone please tell me what are the taxes to be paid and the process to pay them? By what time do we need to pay the taxes? Thanks.

J2, independent contractor [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am from Belgium and I arrived in the USA for research under a J-1 visa. My wife has a J-2 visa. She will work as an independent contractor. Her job will be to give some french classes in a public school. As she is an independent contractor, can she benefit from a tax withholding...

I am on my OPT. Can I work as an independent contractor? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a foreign student and currently on my OPT. I have been offered a contractor position from a consulting group for 3 months. The agreement states my title as an independent contractor Can I accept this? Can I work as an independent contractor on OPT?

Quarterly Taxes [ F1 visa and on OPT hired as an independent contractor (1099) ] [ 2 Answers ]

I am on an F1 visa and am on OPT(17 month STEM Extension) hired as an independent contractor (1099). It has been exactly 2.5 years since I came to the US. Do I have to pay quarterly taxes ? Thanks, Abhishek

OPT independent contractor and taxes [ 4 Answers ]

What are the taxes that a foreign student on OPT who is working as an independent contractor is subjected to. What if the student is a "resident alien" for tax purpose. (IRS classifies foreign students as "resident aliens" for tax purpose if the period of stay in US is roughly 3yrs or more). ...

View more questions Search