Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guajardo1964 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2011, 06:04 PM
    Thrift store
    I am going to open up a thrift store and I need to know about how much I will need as money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 17, 2011, 06:16 PM
    If you have to ask that question, most likely you don't have enough.

You have to figure at a min having at least 6 months working capitol in the bank. So take your rent, your insurance, your overhead for any employes, your electric, gas and water and all your other bills. Like advertising Multiply that times at least 6 and if you don't have that much money, most likely you don't have enough to start.

That is of course on top of any and all money you need to buy your stock, business license, signs, permits for signs and so on
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 17, 2011, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If you have to ask that question, most likely you don't have enough.
    Good answer and very true.

Before you just decide to open any kind of business, some research into what it takes to run that business and start up costs is definitely something you need to do.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 18, 2011, 03:29 AM
    Thrift stores (I assume you mean second hand goods) have a tough time paying the overhead. A storefront really needs a steady flow of sales all day long, because the markup just isn't high enough to cover expenses. And there's more than rent and utilities, you have to have liability insurance, a business license from your state, and business permit for a specific address from your town, and you have to pay income taxes. That's why you see so many thrift stores run by non-profits like Goodwill, Sally's, and churches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thrift store [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get information on starting a thrift store business?

Thrift Store [ 1 Answers ]

How do you start a thrift shop within an existing non profit charity?

Thrift store [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know how to start my thrift store and how to keep ig going good. We have the things I need to know how to keep people coming back.thank you very much. Will I need to spend a lot of money to keep this going?is the inside of the store a good start.like the painting and the colors.

Thrift Store [ 2 Answers ]

What are the major things to starting a thrift store business?

View more questions Search