Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plhyman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2011, 10:28 AM
    Mold buildup around GErefrigerator ice dispenser and water dispenser
    I can see black mildew or mold up inside the area around the water dispenser/ice dispenser on my GE refrigerator. Any suggestions about how to clean and prevent this mold? (I also have the problem with the water dispenser not working, but am working on that using several suggestions from this site. Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2011, 12:38 PM
    The only thing that kills mold like that is straight bleach. Apparently this has been growing for sometime now and needs to be addressed before someone ingests this.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2011, 05:40 AM
    Any time you have high humidity you can have black mold. In this case just wash down with a bleach solution. I would check the air conditioner's inside coils and drain pan. Make sure to look at coils from the side the air enters the unit to see where the dirt and mold collects. You most likely are getting a lot of mold spores in the air which can be very dangerous to your health causing asthma and pneumonia. I have seen many deaths from black mold spores and saved one elderly lady's life when she had severe pneumonia and I cleaned her AC and advised her to see her doctor and to tell him about the black mold. She was treated with antibiotics and steroids and recovered. Before I knew how dangerous this mold was I got sick several times from cleaning coils without a good mask to filter the air when pressure washing. You can even get sick just pressure washing the side of a house with black mold on it. It takes steroids to cure it; antibiotics alone will not work. Let us know what you find. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water and ice dispenser won't shut off [ 0 Answers ]

I have a GE side by side. The water and ice dispenser serve water and ice but won't shut off when you take the glass away. The water/ice keep coming out after you stop pressing the lever and the only thing that will stop it is to open the freezer door.

Ice maker/water dispenser not working [ 6 Answers ]

We had a Kenmore Elite Trio refrigerator installed a couple of days ago. The installers hooked up the existing water line to the ice maker/water dispenser. It was working while they were there. The installers did not push the refrigerator into the location because we had to trim a cabinet. My...

Ice maker/water dispenser not working [ 0 Answers ]

We had a Kenmore Elite Trio refrigerator installed a couple of days ago. The installers hooked up the existing water line to the ice maker/water dispenser. It was working while they were there. The installers did not push the refrigerator into the location because we had to trim a cabinet. My...

Ice/Water dispenser will not work [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I need some help before I call for service. I have a GE Profile Performance side by side frig. It's 7 yrs old and has been fine until now. Recently the ice/water dispenser slowed, so I replace the filter as before. However, this time the ice/water dispensers did not return to normal. It...

View more questions Search